Skyborne Technologies is a small to medium company working in the high-tech defence and security space developing innovative aerial robotics. The company is based in Brisbane, Australia. Skyborne is rapidly growing within the defence space to develop and produce smart high quality robotic defence aerial robots, armed and unarmed. The company’s flagship product is the Cerberus GL; the first man-packable aerial fire support UAS platform using an innovative tri-tilt copter UAS design. The company currently has innovation contracts with Australian Federal Government and Australian Defence Force.
About the Team
Skyborne’s Research & Development team have various innovation contracts to deliver in the short to medium term. The candidate will be embedded to support the delivery of these important contracts and aid in company growth. The successful candidate will join our R&D team at our office located in Brisbane.
About the role
Under the supervision of the Software Lead, the successful applicant will undertake software design and development activities as part of an R&D project team. The role will allow autonomy and leading of high-level engineering tasks.
As an Embedded Software Engineer you can anticipate some of your day-to-day tasks to include:
- Use development tools such as: JIRA, Confluence, GitLab, C/C++, QT, CMake, Linux
- Firmware development (C++)
- Writing/modifying drivers for embedded sensors (e.g. IMU, GPS, optics)
- Working with various interfaces, such as SPI, I2C, UART
- Develop GUI systems
- Researching and implementing design patterns that better conform to company software best practices
- Undertake tasks within allocated timeframes
- Facilitate collaboration with all Skyborne staff (Engineering & Business Divisions)
- Participating in code reviews
- Bench, Hardware-in-the-loop, and field testing of Skyborne UAS platforms
- Local, interstate, and international travel to support field testing and customer demonstrations
What are we looking for?
Skyborne seeks applicants who exemplify a rapid R&D style approach to tackle complex engineering problems within the allocated project timeline. The applicant should positively contribute to the workplace environment where employees value each other, live up to their promises and communicate openly.
The experience and skillset best suited to this role include:
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following: Information Technology, Computer Science, Mechatronics Engineering, Software Engineering or Aerospace Engineering
- Exemplary final year project in software or mechatronics engineering
- Passion for innovation and to work in a fast paced but rewarding environment
- Ability to focus on specific problems and prioritise tasks in order to deliver best value to the business and stakeholders
- Ability to receive constructive feedback on code and implement accordingly
- Eligibility and willingness to obtain an Australian Department of Defence security clearance
- Additionally, it would be desirable that you have:
- Experience with mathematics and algorithms generally
- Experience with Real-Time Operating Systems
- Experience with simulation development
- NV1 security clearance
What’s on offer?
- Attractive remuneration package
- Technical KPI’s linked to bonus incentives
- Opportunity for career development and further training
- Real technical development experience from design to testing to customer trials
- Autonomously work on assigned project tasks
- Access to experienced R&D engineers for mentoring (software, embedded, electronics/firmware, GNC, machine vision, machine learning)
If you are ready to take the next step, apply with your cover letter and resume.
Skyborne may use various recruitment and selection tools and techniques as part of our process, such as video interviewing, online assessments, face-to-face interviews and assessment centres.
The preferred candidate may be required to complete Skyborne background checks including pre-employment verification and national police checks.