Skyborne develops smart aerial robotics
Skyborne Technologies is a SME company working in the high-tech Defence and security space developing smart aerial robotics. The company is based in Brisbane, Australia.
Skyborne is rapidly growing within the Defence and security space to develop and produce smart high quality robotic Defence aerial robots, armed and unarmed. The company’s flagship product is the Cerberus GL; the first man-packable aerial fire support UAS platform using an innovative tri-tilt copter UAS design.
The company currently has innovation contracts with Australian Federal Government, Australian Defence Force and foreign FYEV militaries.
About the Team
Skyborne’s Research & Development team have various innovation contracts to deliver in the short to medium term. The candidate will be embedded to support the delivery of these important contracts and aid in company growth. The successful candidate will join our R&D team at our office located in Brisbane.
About the role
Under the supervision of the Electrical Lead, the successful applicant will undertake variety of technician activities to support the R&D project teams. The role will allow autonomy and leading of high-level engineering tasks.
As an Electronics Technician you can anticipate some of your day-to-day tasks to include:
- Assembly and modification of prototype PCBs by hand (comfortability working on surface mount components such as 0402 passives and QFN ICs)
- Assemble, inspect, diagnose, repair and test electronics and mechatronics systems
- Work with hand tools and power tools in the assembly and disassembly of equipment
- Assist in creating Altium library components
- Assist with cable harness design using Solidworks Electrical Schematic
Cable harness assembly and connector termination Bench, Hardware-in-the-loop, and field testing of Skyborne UAS platforms
- Able to use schematics and technical documentation to assemble, diagnose and repair equipment
- Follow and document test procedures to maintain and ensure Quality Assurance
- Troubleshooting hardware with and without access to schematics
- Design of automated PCB testing procedures using lab equipment such as oscilloscopes, smart power supplies and electronic loads
- Undertake tasks within allocated timeframes
- Use tools such as: Atlassian Suite (JIRA & Confluence), SVN
- Maintain the electronics workshop and associated equipment
- Support procurement, including purchasing and inventory management
- Facilitate collaboration with all Skyborne staff (Engineering & Business Divisions)
- Local, interstate, and international travel to support field testing and customer demonstrations
- Other duties as requested by Management
What are we looking for?
Skyborne seeks applicants who exemplify a rapid R&D style approach to tackle complex engineering problems within the allocated project timeline. The applicant should positively contribute to the workplace environment where employees value each other, live up to their promises and communicate openly.
The experience and skillset best suited to this role include:
- A recognised Trade Certificate of proficiency in an electronics or electro-mechanical discipline OR bachelor’s degree in one of the following: Electrical Engineering or Mechatronics Engineering
- 3+ years industry in an electronics and assembly team environment
- Strong SMD soldering ability
- Hands on experience creating cable harnesses and crimping contacts
- Ability to interpret design schematics and illustrated parts catalogues
- Ability to receive constructive feedback on assembly and testing methodologies
- Passion for innovation and to work in a fast paced, but rewarding environment
- Ability to focus on specific problems and prioritise tasks in order to deliver best value to the business and stakeholders
- Applicants must be an Australian Citizen to meet Defence security requirements
- Eligibility and willingness to obtain an Australian Department of Defence security clearance
Additionally, it would be desirable that you have:
- 2D and 3D CAD experience (AutoCAD/Solidworks)
- Exposure to Altium Designer
- Exposure to Solidworks Electrical Schematic
- Experience designing PCBs
- CASA remote pilot licence (RePL)
- QLD Firearms Licence
- Active Australian Department of Defence BASELINE security clearance
- Networking, IT and Linux-based-systems knowledge is beneficial
What’s on offer?
- Attractive remuneration package
- Technical KPI’s linked to bonus incentives
- Opportunity for career development and further training
- Real technical development experience from design to testing to customer trials
- Autonomously work on assigned project tasks
- Access to experienced R&D engineers for mentoring (software, embedded, electronics/firmware, GNC, machine vision, machine learning)