Skyrora designs, manufactures and deploys rockets to clear the way for small satellite manufacturers looking to access Space. Headquartered in Edinburgh, and with facilities across Europe, Skyrora is developing launch vehicle technology to ensure that the life-changing benefits of space are realised here on earth.
Skyrora is a new-space small satellite launch vehicle engineering company, based in Edinburgh. Skyrora’s mission is to provide a versatile and dedicated sovereign launch capability to serve the world-leading satellite manufacturers local to the UK. Leading the UK’s effort to create a sustainable and environmentally friendly launch vehicle, Skyrora combines both world-leading innovative engineering solutions for the construction of its launch vehicles and liquid propulsion technologies. A focus of our technology approach is to minimise the impact on the immediate environment.
Small and Micro satellites are being used more and more in everyday life, manufacturing rate increasing year by year. They assist us by tracking forest fires, providing communications to remote places and capturing high definition images of the Earth, to name a few. There is currently a lack of launch opportunities for smallsats, and it is Skyrora’s goal to open this access to space, to unlock the potential for all.
We design and build our launch vehicles in house and aim to launch from the UK with our Skyrora XL, a 3-stage liquid launch vehicle. We currently have two liquid engine test sites and have already performed 25 liquid engine tests in 2020 alone.
Team working is at our core and we face new challenges every day. Every member of Skyrora’s diverse team demonstrates entrepreneurial flexibility to cooperate and establish sustainable solutions to all the challenges thrown at us; from creating the legal landscape enabling space flight in UK, to societal challenge of fighting global pandemics such as COVID-19, Skyrora is constantly challenging itself.
Why not challenge yourself in trying to get the UK back to space?
We design, manufacture, and test our own rocket engines in house and are currently developing engines for our first, second and third stages of our Skyrora XL vehicle, as well as engines for our Skylark L suborbital launch vehicle. To enable our engineering activities, we seek competitive business opportunities with private and governmental bodies, such as the UK Space Agency and ESA. Skyrora are looking for a Bid Writer to join our fast-growing team as a member of our Engineering Technical Support, to produce bids of the highest quality, manage ongoing bids, and find and apply for new business opportunities to enable Skyrora’s technical roadmap.
You will write, edit and prepare exceptional proposals that meet and exceed the requirements set by funding bodies, for example researching bid proposals to funding bodies, and work closely with a wide range of Skyrora personnel to form a deep understanding of the Skyrora Business plan, technical aims and fiscal needs to enable orbital launch.
This is a great opportunity to join a space company that works with rockets daily and be part of our journey to orbit.
- Develop strong, bid-winning technical proposals which fulfil the company ethos and values, and make a strong competitive case for enabling Skyrora’s requirements
- Manage and organise ongoing bids in varying stages of progression
- Delegate and manage section authors from across the business, setting and enforcing deadlines and expectations.
- Interact with and develop a deep understanding of the works within various Skyrora teams
- Develop Technical Request for Proposals for customers
- Shape and guide the future of Skyrora through technology-enabling funding
- Proactively look for new relevant bids which align with Skyrora’s funding needs
- Cooperation with governmental bodies and bid negotiation in latter stages of bid development
- Develop a repository of Skyrora technical and business information specifically related to bid writing
- Assist in technical document writing and journal paper production
- Bachelor’s / Master’s in an engineering related field (Aerospace / Mechanical etc)
- 4+ years’ experience in writing high quality proposals with excellent attention to detail
- Experience working with government agencies
- Independently gather information from subject matter experts to develop, organise, and write proposals and bids
- Impeccable organisation and administration skills
- Must be able to set goals, prioritize multiple objectives with various deadlines and independently manage projects
- Experience in using graphics and rendering to display complex infographic information
- Experience leading a cross-functional team and external contacts
- Demonstrable experience translating complex ideas into readily understood proposals
- Ability to develop and implement winning themes and have a core understanding of the industry and competition
- Record of successfully planning and completing both short and long-term projects on time
- Strong creative and technical writing skills, as well as excellent verbal communication skills
- Able to work and be embedded into various teams to gain an understanding of the processes
- Be willing to play a crucial part of a dynamic and fast paced team that is putting the UK back into space
- Experience of writing technical proposals and bid writing is preferred
- Must be willing to travel for work
- Must be willing to work in a dynamic teamwork-oriented environment
- Must be willing to work overtime and at weekends, going the extra mile to meet critical company deadlines