Skyrora designs, manufactures and deploys rockets to clear the way for small satellite manufacturers looking to access Space. Headquartered in Edinburgh, and with facilities across Europe, Skyrora is developing launch vehicle technology to ensure that the life-changing benefits of space are realised here on earth.
Skyrora is a new-space small satellite launch vehicle engineering company, based in Edinburgh. Skyrora’s mission is to provide a versatile and dedicated sovereign launch capability to serve the world-leading satellite manufacturers local to the UK. Leading the UK’s effort to create a sustainable and environmentally friendly launch vehicle, Skyrora combines both world-leading innovative engineering solutions for the construction of its launch vehicles and liquid propulsion technologies. A focus of our technology approach is to minimise the impact on the immediate environment.
Small and micro satellites are being used more and more in everyday life, with manufacturing rate increasing year by year. They assist us by tracking forest fires, providing communications to remote places and capturing high definition images of the Earth, to name a few. There is currently a lack of launch opportunities for them and it is Skyrora’s goal to open this access to space, to unlock the potential for all.
We design and build our launch vehicles in-house and aim to launch from the UK with our Skyrora XL, a 3-stage liquid launch vehicle. We currently have two liquid engine test sites and have already performed 25 liquid engine tests in 2020 alone.
Team working is at our core and we face new challenges every day. Every member of Skyrora’s diverse team demonstrates entrepreneurial flexibility to cooperate and establish sustainable solutions for all the challenges thrown at us; from creating the legal landscape enabling space flight in UK, to societal challenge of fighting global pandemics such as COVID-19, Skyrora is constantly challenging itself.
Why not challenge yourself in trying to get the UK back to space?
We design, manufacture, and test our own rocket engines in house and are currently developing engines for our first, second and third stages of our Skyrora XL vehicle, as well as engines for our Skylark L suborbital launch vehicle. We create many documents to support these efforts, ranging from procedures to test rocket engines to System Engineering Gate documents. Skyrora is looking for an Engineering Technical Document Writer & Controller to join our fast-growing team as a member of our Engineering Technical Support Team, to increase documentation output, clarity and project performance.
The role will be supporting our various engineering teams across all projects in producing the highest level of technical documents for products, projects, activities etc. You will also work closely with all teams to deliver, edit and review continuously the documents as well as managing document control. The ideal candidate will hold an understanding of how to structure complex technical information, be an engineer themselves, have high levels of attention to detail and have experience of technical writing. The candidate will report directly to the Head of Engineering and work with teams across our divisions (test site, operations, vehicle assembly, etc).
This is a great opportunity to join a space company who work with rockets daily and be part of our journey to orbit.
- Coordinate with project managers on document timelines and implementation
- Produce technical user manuals, data sheets and reports
- Coordinate with all engineering teams and gather relevant information for producing documents.
- Assist and be an integral part of grant writing
- Manage the document control database (as well as continuously striving to improve it)
- Follow key documentation standards and in-house style guides
- Produce external literature with the PR team for dissemination
- Interpret complex technical product information and re-write this to ensure it is appropriate for all end users
- Manage the timeline for delivering this content within the project deadline
- Follow the system engineering approach to projects with management of gate documents
- Make a continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively
- Managing engineering drawings (versions, standards etc)
- Play your part in getting the UK back into space
- Check of work after task completion to ensure job is complete to required specifications.
- Be part of a dynamic and fast paced team that is putting the UK back into space.
- Bachelor’s / Master’s in an engineering related field (Aerospace / Mechanical etc)
- Experience in technical writing for an engineering discipline
- Knowledge of system engineering document processes
- Knowledge of basic engineering documentation standards
- Independently gather information from subject matter experts to develop, organise, and write procedure manuals, technical specifications, and process documentation
- Ability to provide high quality documentation with an excellent attention to detail
- Must be able to set goals, prioritize multiple objectives with various deadlines and independently manage documentation projects
- Able to work and embed themselves into the various teams and projects to understand products and services
- Have a passion for the space sector
- Must be willing to travel for work
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, crawling for extended periods of time
- Must be willing to work in a dynamic teamwork-oriented environment
- Must be determined to make a significant contribution to UK Space launch
- Valid passport
- Be Awesome.