Commercial Satellite Imagery Made Accessible
At SkyWatch, we believe that everyone on the planet should benefit from the thousands of satellites that orbit the earth. We are building a platform to put the world’s Earth observation data in one place — a simple API any developer can use. Our team of extraordinarily talented people has built a cutting-edge microservices platform on a serverless stack, and we’re growing fast.
About the role and where do you fit? Great question!
- You enjoy being a player and a coach who is positive, supportive, trusting, and focused. You love helping people reach their potential.
- You have the ability to solve problems, not just complete tasks. You are an artist and a craftsperson, not an assembly line worker. You empathize with those who use what you’ve built. You want to solve their problems.
- You have strong technical chops, but can also describe technical things to non-technical people. You can tell a ten-year-old how an API works and not have them glaze over with boredom. Or a CEO. Or your significant other. OK, maybe not your significant other.
- You have a diverse background. Volunteer as a Big Sister? Founded a Meetup? Love to paint? Play a sport? We love diversity and value how much it adds to our team.
- You have a thirst for learning. We learn something every day. We find it intoxicating. If you’d rather master one thing and do that every day, this probably isn’t the role for you.
- You have thoughtful opinions that you feel comfortable sharing. We have a culture that makes sharing opinions safe. If everyone in a meeting always thinks the same way, we have too many people in that meeting.
- You have the ability to give more than you take. We have an incredible team. We want you to make it even better.
YOUR TECHNICAL ARSENAL
- You can bounce between Python and Java and love building high performing reliable, high performing applications (bonus points for familiarity with distributed systems)
- You have experience with a broad range of geospatial and remote sensing technologies (such as GDAL or SNAP) and know how to create a normalized difference vegetation index.
- You believe in pragmatic ML and AI, and realize the model isn’t the product, but a way to make the product better.
- You can explain how a CNN works to a high school student.
- You love math and can articulate the difference between supervised and unsupervised machine learning in your own words.
- You understand the importance of code reviews and writing clean, maintainable code
- You believe in automated testing and can explain why it’s so important
- You’ve built software of some kind to solve a problem in your life outside of work.
- You have extensive experience on AWS, and get excited about their new product announcements.
- You’ve used git at the command line and have felt the pain of merge conflicts.
- You’ve secured an application and can articulate the value of differing security levels.
YOUR TYPICAL DAY
9:00 am — you sign on, catch up on Slack, email, system status, and important metrics.
10:00 am — you participate in our daily stand-up, sharing what you did yesterday, what you plan on doing today, and if there are any roadblocks.
10:15 am — you pair-program with one of your teammates helping them push through a complex requirement.
12:00 pm — you get some fresh air or connect virtually with teammates for some social time.
1:00 pm — you put on the headphones and get dialed in to build a new microservice.
3:30 pm — happy with the code, you deploy to dev, and if tests pass, staging.
4:00 pm — you work together with other developers to lead a design session for a new feature, gathering thoughts, opinions, and lending your experience to the discussion.
5:00 pm — you wrap up unit tests, prep for deployment tomorrow, and disconnect for the day.
A FEW MORE THINGS TO KNOW
- We offer a great compensation package including a competitive base salary, stock options, and a comprehensive benefits plan for you, and your family.
- We have flexible work hours and flexible remote working options.
- New employees receive 3 weeks of paid vacation minimum each year, not including paid time-off between Christmas and New Year’s Day (we call them ‘SkyWatch Days’).
- Our HQ is, in normal times, located in Uptown Waterloo, at the Communitech Data Hub surrounded by other awesome Startups focused on Data, AI, Machine Learning, and IOT. Currently, we operate on a remote-first model with all employees working from home until our situation improves.
- We “Hack the Sky” (our internal hackathon), teaming up with our peers for 36 hours to build something awesome that doesn’t pertain to our normal day to day work.
- Leave your ego at the door. If you are smart but difficult to work with, this isn’t the place for you.
If you think you would fit this role then we encourage you to apply now!