Spatial intelligence for robots & machines
Machines with spatial intelligence are becoming more commonplace. High performance robotic solutions are no longer limited to factories and warehouses, but are becoming more and more common in environments such as hospitals, hotels and homes. Autonomous cars are starting to emerge out of the lab and AR/VR headsets are allowing us to overlay the digital world on the real world. As these machines operate in less constrained, more dynamic environments, spatial understanding is essential for reliable operation and intelligent behaviour. There are three levels of spatial understanding required: localisation (position), mapping (map) and semantics (perceive). Using vision as the core sensing modality, all three levels of spatial understanding can be combined to offer full stack spatial Intelligence, providing richer maps, robustness to change and greater adaptability to challenging, dynamic environments.
Who we are:
SLAMcore is a London-based, globally focused startup founded by visual SLAM algorithm pioneers and specialists. Having raised over $20M of VC funding from top investors around the world, we are developing breakthrough spatial intelligence solutions for next generation robots and autonomous machines by harnessing computer vision, sensor fusion and machine learning. Our aim is to greatly reduce the time and cost for companies to deploy advanced robotic solutions whilst delivering performance they could never achieve on their own. Our customers include some of the biggest tech companies on the planet building solutions from vacuum cleaning to warehouse and logistics.
Our vision for this role:
The goal of this internship is to work on the next generation of spatial intelligence systems that combine deep learning and SLAM to overcome some of the limitations of more standard approaches. You will be exploring new deep learning ideas to enhance SLAM and make it more efficient. There will be opportunities to publish your research into relevant scientific conferences and potentially file a patent.
The length of the internship will be four months. We prefer the work to be carried out primarily in our offices in London, but are considering remote internships as well. The ideal starting date will be July 2022. Past internships have resulted in publishable research and work applicable to student doctoral dissertations. The successful candidate will have a track record of research excellence, a strong recommendation from a research supervisor, excellent programming skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
How you will help:
- You will design and develop state of the art deep learning algorithms for the purpose of achieving true spatial intelligence solutions
- Be a core member of our research team alongside machine learning experts and SLAM pioneers
The capabilities we are looking for:
- Currently working towards a Ph.D. in machine learning, computer vision or robotics
- A good track record of research excellence. We expect that you have at least one strong publication in any of the following conferences: CVPR, ECCV, ICCV, BMVC, RSS, ICRA, IROS, ICML, NeurIPS
- Excellent understanding of optimisation, numerical linear algebra, probabilistic estimation
- A keen ability to work in a team orientated environment
- Proficiency in Python programming (and in particular PyTorch and/or TensorFlow)
Familiarity with C++
Bonus points if you have:
- Working knowledge of SLAM and application of deep learning for SLAM/SfM
- Experience with deep learning applications involving object detection, semantic segmentation, instance segmentation
- First hand experience designing efficient deep learning architectures or training strategies for real-time resource constrained platforms
Benefits and perks:
- Competitive salary
- If the outcome of the internship results in publishable research and work this can be used as part of your doctoral dissertation.
- Monthly team social events as well as a fully stocked drinks fridge at our HQ in Borough
- £20 allowance per fortnight on your company card for extra lunches/snacks/coffee/socialising
- Flexible working hours
- Unlimited private coaching sessions with More Happi to help in your professional or personal life