Optical or SAR Payload System Engineer
Solenix is a privately owned, independent and internationally active company providing engineering and consulting services in the space market.
We are looking for multiple Optical or SAR Payload System Engineers on behalf of and in support to our client for their location in Frascati, Italy. The successful applicants will be employed by Solenix and not by our Client.
You will join a team that is involved with end-to-end reviewing and supervising of EO missions through appropriate engineering activities. Your tasks will include, but not be limited to:
- Manage the payload project to ensure that the optical payload is compatible with the satellite and mission requirements, which involves understanding, reviewing, and challenging the payload design. This will be done in collaboration with and support from the engineering team.
- Ensure consistent flow-down of requirements from mission and system towards the optical payload
- Ensure coordination of payload activities with project schedule
- Coordinate the definition of the payload interface requirements, between payload and other system elements, such as satellite platform, ground segment and the payload data processing facility
- Critical assessment of payload technical readiness levels
- Manage payload inputs to system design, technical budgets, and operations concepts
- Manage payload inputs to the AIV, commissioning and calibration plans
- Perform system-level estimates of optical performance and provide support to the satellite performance verification by ensuring the consistency of the Payload Performance Model
- Gather and provide inputs as needed by the payload subcontractor
- Stay abreast of new technologies and techniques
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Engineering or Physics with focus on Optics or Remote Sensing or equivalent field
- At least 8 years of experience with complex imaging systems, optical systems engineering and / or within SAR field
- Experience in (Payload) Systems Engineering across the program lifecycle (SRR, PDR, CDR, TRR, PSR, Launch), with knowledge of Systems Engineering concepts and processes
- Experience in evaluating compliance to requirements and generating supporting program data for system interfaces and dependencies, as well as with compliance verification efforts during the program production, manufacturing, and/or AI&T phases
- Strong process focus with the ability to intelligently apply standard processes
- Able to thoroughly address responsibilities, with good attention to detail and a proven understanding of documentation methods and requirements
- Able to review, assess and document (complex) problems and to propose solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong social skills, and ability to build consensus among peers while building solid relationships with team members
- Candidates must be eligible to work and live in EU
General Skills and Experience
- For the Optical engineer role, experience with at least with one of the below mentioned areas is desirable:
- Optical Link Budgets
- High Speed data processing needs
- Optical calibration techniques
- Able to perform comprehensive optical system characterization
- Understand performance testing and validation of optical systems and components
- Demonstrable experience within engineering teams focused on optical payloads
- Experience with optical payload requirements development, integration, interface definition, verification, and component/subsystem AI&T efforts
- For the SAR engineer role, experience with at least with one of the below mentioned is desirable:
- Familiarity with SAR performance analysis tool
- Knowledge on remote sensing principles, retrieval techniques, error assessment, data assimilation principles
- Knowledge of SAR theory and performance parameter definitions
- Practical experience in the field of Synthetic Aperture Radar Techniques and Performance computation
Work Location: Frascati, Italy
Application Deadline: 28 February 2023 (Note: since the starting date is asap, the position will be closed earlier if a suitable candidate is found before the deadline)
Start of Work: as soon as possible
- Cover Letter, ideally covering the following:
- Short intro and summary about yourself, background and experience.
- State why you would like to work for Solenix.
- Describe the rationale for your application, why are you applying and why you think you are a good candidate for this position.
- State your eligibility to work in the country of the work location.
- State your current status and availability.
- CV, preferably in Europass format, containing at least
- Valid contact information (address, phone number, e-mail address).
- Exact birth date.
- Career summary (education and training, work experience).
- Dates in career summary as accurate as possible, at least on month level.
- Career summaries in reverse chronological order.
- Skills (languages, IT, social skills etc.)
- Supporting docs, e.g. marks, diploma, publications, letters of references, description of activities and projects.
- Short profile: 1/2 – 1 page description of your background, experience and skills.