We are looking for a Biomass PDGS engineer to support our customer, ESRIN. This activity is intended to support the Biomass PDGS Manager in all tasks related to the operational L2 processors and algorithms, instrument calibration and performance monitoring and L2 data quality. The support is intended to be provided from phase C/D to phase E1 and possibly during phase E2.
The scope of support includes:
- Biomass L2 processor sub-systems development, validation and testing
- Biomass Mission Performance Monitoring Facility development, validation and testing
- Integration of L2 processor sub-systems into the PDGS
- Definition of the quality control and instrument performance monitoring concept for the Biomass L2 products
- Biomass L2 products format specification.
- Biomass Cal/Val activities planning and implementation
Activities will include but not be limited to:
- Support the PDGS Project for the acceptance Biomass level 2 Processors
- Participation to Ground Segment Reviews and PDGS reviews organized either by ESA or by Industry
- Support to the PDGS Integration and Validation and Ground Segment Validation phases addressing the PDGS Level 2 processors
- Management of the review item discrepancies, system or software problem reports and action linked to L2 and Cal/Val activities
- Support for the preparation of the launch and the implementation of rehearsal activities for Cal/Val and L2 applications
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum 3 years’ relevant work experience
- University degree or equivalent qualification, preferably in engineering or Remote Sensing
- System Technical Specification
- Operational Requirements specification
- Complex system architecture definition and implementation
- Definition and Implementation of operational concepts
- System Validation and Verification
- Operational Validation and Qualification
- Communications skills (e.g., for presentations to an international audience)
- Capacity to generate good quality documentation
- Experience in data Quality Control and Product validation
- Experience in Calibration and Validation of Earth Observation instruments
- Programming skills – Python
- Good understanding of and background in geophysical sciences and/or specific instruments relevant to the Biomass mission
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Agile process (SCRUM)
- Good knowledge of ESA and TPM operational missions on-scope, including PDGS overall architecture, data products and processing model and operational context (e.g., relationship with providers and partners)
- Good knowledge of applications and systems in use for common services implementation and Long-Term Data and Knowledge preservation
- Cloud-based service provisioning (both public and private cloud, including cost models)
- Virtualisation technologies and platforms
- Networking (both Local and Wide Area Networks): design, implementation and operations
- ICT security (design, implementation, operations and standards)
- Experience in Big Earth Observation Data Initiatives, complex systems, distributed systems, systems of systems, federated systems, clouds, etc.
- Knowledge of Data Processing systems for Earth Observation data
- Experience in the development of operational processors
- Programming skills – Shell scripting
- Knowledge of the ESA Earth Explorers missions (and instruments) and processes related to their PDGS development
Start of Work: as soon as possible but no later than January 2022
- Before applying to this position, please read the page How to Apply.
- Applicants must be EU citizens or have a valid work and residence permit for the above-mentioned work location.
- Security, identity and reference checks on the candidates are part of the recruitment process.