Our aim is to research and develop innovative systems, solutions and products and provide services to the aerospace and security markets and related industries. Our activities cover manned and unmanned spacecraft, launch/re-entry vehicles, control centres, robotics and a wide range of information systems.
Space Applications Services is a company based in the Brussels area (BE) that provides products and services for the space sector in many areas from Avionics, Robotics, Human Exploration, Science and Earth Observation.
The successful candidate will be based in our main office at Sint-Stevens-Woluwe (Brussels Area).
He/She will be tasked with the design and MAIT of mechanical components and mechanisms for space robotics applications (planetary and in space) in challenging ESA and EC projects. As a primary duty, the successful candidate will be responsible for the detailed design of major components of the LUVMI-X lunar rover ground demonstrator, and will contribute in its Manufacturing, Assembly, Integration and Testing.
The position is in the Robotics, Mechanisms and Structures (RMS) Team (comprises of 10 persons).
The candidate will report to the RMS Team Lead and the LUVMI-X Project Manager.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Carrying out concepts and technologies analysis for the components to be designed
- Performing end-to-end CAD modelling and preparing models for manufacturing
- Performing design trade-offs and early validation with rapid prototyping means
- Closely interacting with simulation engineers for the optimisation of the mechanical design
- Supporting the end-to-end MAIT process for the designed components and assemblies
- Generating the technical documentation required all along the process
- Presenting work done and results internally (line managers and colleagues) and externally to customers and in fairs or symposia.
Qualifications and Experience
- Mechanical engineer or Mechatronics engineer (with major in mechanical engineering) higher education degree (MSc or PhD) with previous experience in space structures and mechanisms
- Hands-on experience with integration of complex assemblies
- Outstanding proficiency with CAD tools (e.g. Solidworks) and track record of complex mechanisms design
- Excellent understanding of materials, tolerances, supply chains and COTS procurement in space oriented applications
- Good understanding of mechanical simulation and analyses (structural, thermal, vibration)
- Proficiency with technical documents production and mechanical design 2D-3D based drawings
- Good knowledge of the space engineering life cycle, qualification process / constraints, and relevant ECSS standards.
- Previous experience with planetary rovers design or terra-mechanics is an asset.
The successful candidate will have the following skills
- A proactive approach, with initiative and ability to work independently
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Passion for space domain and space technologies.
- Synthesise, summarise and draw conclusions
- Adhere to strict standards of confidentiality
- Work in distributed international teams
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
What Do We Offer?
- Working in a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
- A professional, pleasant atmosphere with motivated and passionate Staff, where autonomy and initiatives are encouraged
- An interesting remuneration package with a relocation allowance, if applicable
- A full time position with an indefinite contract of employment.
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.
The candidate shall be eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years.
Please send your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English) to email@example.com
For this position, the contact person is Ms. Dinara Karimova