Space Applications Services is a company at the forefront of space technology development and the provision of services for human spaceflight, exploration and earth observation missions.
Headquartered in Belgium (Brussels Area), with a research office in the Netherlands and a subsidiary in the USA, the company provides solutions for both commercial and institutional customers. We work with clients such as the European Space Agency, the European Commission, governmental and national space agencies as well as the major space industries.
We are looking for a Robotics Software Engineer responsible for the study, design, prototyping and testing of experimental robotics systems.
The successful candidate will develop and connect a software toolset responsible for a multi-robot mission control centre with wide applications in marine, terrestrial and outer space applications.
This role is related to the integration, testing and deployment of command, control and communications software on a variety of robots. This will provide the chance to create both robotics high level software, backend services and simulation environments for a wide variety of marine, terrestrial, aerial and orbital vehicles.
The new team member will contribute to the development of state of art technologies in data handling, cloud-deployed software, modern robotics applications, simulation and distributed communication methods, using an Agile approach.
The position is in the Systems Department, Robotics Software and Intelligence (RSI) Team (comprised of 7 persons).
The candidate will mainly report to the RSI Team Lead.
Start date: at the earliest
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Interface robots capacities based on ROS with the robot control center for monitoring and control
- Develop a CPP library based on ROS to integrate different robots with the control center
- Assist activities related to autonomous vehicles mission plan execution and plan monitoring
- Contribute to the development and integration of offline and online mission/task planners for robots linked to the control center
- Configure and test networks topologies and equipment (e.g. IP mesh, satellite antennas, 4G / 5G modems)
- Integrate and test the developed solutions on real hardware robots.
Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s or a Master’s degree or work experience in Robotics or Software Development
- 2-3 years of experience or more in backend development with Python
- Experience or knowledge in/with:
- ROS/ROS2 and robotics simulation environments (e.g. Gazebo, Webots)
- Using Postgres, Flask, websockets
- Programming with C++
- A strong interest in the design, valorisation and use of backed services to link IoT devices and robotics with high scale web applications
- Configuring and deploying networks including hardware
- Proficient user of git version control tools
- Fast learner and ability to adopt new technologies
- Available to be involved and support off-site activities in robotics demonstrations
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written. Good skills in technical documentation delivery.
Considered as Assets
- Experience with:
- Deploying large web applications in production using NGINX
- Web-based GIS projects (e.g. geoserver, openlayers, vue-layers)
- Building system architecture
- Building and maintaining CI pipelines using gitlab and preparing dockerized deployment packages
- Knowledge about ROS Middleware, symbolic planners.
What Do We Offer
- Working within a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands
- A professional working environment with motivated Engineers and Scientists coming from all different horizons and countries with a common passion for space
- A full-time position with an indefinite contract of employment
- A competitive remuneration package and good working conditions (see our website for details)
- An individualised training and development programme.
How To Apply
Send your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English) to the attention of Mr. Shashank Govindaraj.
The candidate shall be eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years.