Space Applications Services is a company based in the Brussels area (BE) that provides products and services for the space sector in many areas from Avionics, Robotics, Human Exploration, Science and Earth Observation.
Space Applications Services is a company at the forefront of space technology development and the provision of services for human spaceflight, exploration and earth observation missions. Headquartered in Belgium (Brussels Area), with a research office in the Netherlands and a subsidiary in the USA, the company provides solutions for both commercial and institutional customers. We work with clients such as the European Space Agency, the European Commission, governmental and national space agencies as well as the major space industries.
The company develops payloads, avionics, robotics technology and products, and provides complete mission operations control centre solutions to EN9100 standards. The company also provides engineering, science and training services, including astronaut training. In our headquarters, we have a control centre room that operates commercial payloads on the International Space Station, and a laboratory comprising a cleanroom.
The successful candidate will be based in our main office at Sint-Stevens-Woluwe (Brussels Area).
The position is in the Systems Department, Robotics, Mechanisms and Structure (RMS) Team (comprised of 10 persons).
The candidate will mainly report to the RMS Team Lead.
The work assignation consists primarily in performing analysis and simulation tasks in support of mechanical design activities for challenging space projects developed in our Flight System Division and our Technology, Research, and Applications Division (Robotics Team and Future Projects and Exploration Team).
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Preparing simulation models in collaboration with the design engineers
- Performing mechanical simulation models such as structural, thermal and random vibration analyses
- Supporting design engineers in the conception improvement (mass and/or mechanism optimization) and material choice, based on the analysis results
- Interacting with testing engineers for the correlation and optimization of the results of the simulation models
- Providing general simulation expertise for the company activities, including calls of tender
- Continuous improvement of the simulation tools and methodologies applied in the Ccompany
- Generating the technical documentation required all along the process.
Skills and Experience
- Mechanical engineering degree (MSc or Ph.D.) with 3 to 5 years of professional experience in simulation
- Experience with:
- CAD tools (e.g. Solidworks)
- MSC One software tools suite, more specifically Adams, Apex and Nastran
- Excellent understanding of materials and thermal management, preferably for space products
- Proficiency with technical documents production
- Good knowledge of:
- Space engineering life cycle
- Qualification process and constraints, as well as relevant ESA ECSS standards
- Mechanical and thermal conceptions
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Excellent written and spoken English
What Do We Offer?
- Working in a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands
- A professional working environment with motivated Engineers and Scientists coming from all different horizons and countries with a common passion for space
- A full-time position with an indefinite contract of employment
- A competitive remuneration package and good working conditions
- An individualised training and development programmes.
The candidate shall be eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years.
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.