Space Applications Services is a company based in the Brussels area (BE) that provides products and services for the space sector in many areas from Avionics, Robotics, Human Exploration, Science and Earth Observation.
The European Southern Observatory (ESO) is a 16-nation intergovernmental research organization for ground-based astronomy. The primary objective of ESO is to build and operate some of the largest and most technologically advanced ground-based astronomical telescopes, including the New Technology Telescope, an early pioneer in the use of active optics at La Silla Observatory, and the Very Large Telescope (VLT) as well as the Atacama Large Millimeter Array (ALMA) radiotelescope.
To support the testing of astronomical science operations dataflow software, Space Applications Services is looking for software test engineer(s).
The successful candidate(s) will be based in our customer premises at the European Southern Observatory Headquarters in Garching near Munich, Germany.
The position is in the Services Department (comprised of 36 persons), Engineering Team.
The candidate(s) will mainly report to Engineering Team Lead.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The successful candidate(s) will lead or be part of the software testing team, responsible for test specification, planning, implementation and reporting, including, but not limited to:
- Test automation of Web applications in Angular/TypeScript, Java/Groovy REST APIs with relational DB or a NoSQL backend
- Configuration and maintenance of Docker-based deployed infrastructure
- Maintenance of automated build and test infrastructure
- Desktop applications tests with Java/Swing graphical user interfaces
- Improvement of test specifications in collaboration with the Customer and test plans
- Continuous integration of the test code in a running demonstration software
- Test reports and documentation updates
In addition, the on-site project manager will be responsible for:
- Agreeing with the Customer the content of the next cycles based on the prioritized backlog maintained by the product owners
- Maintaining routine communication with the Customer
- Managing and monitoring and the team to ensure timely and high-quality deliverables
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in computer science, physics or equivalent
- Familiarity with agile software development & modern software engineering practices & tools
- Proven experience with configuration management tools (preferably SVN and Git), issue management systems (e.g. Jira), and continuous integration systems (e.g. Jenkins)
In addition, the candidates shall have at least some of the following knowledge and experience in:
- Test automation, manual testing, testing tools (e.g. Selenium and testing REST APIs, Java Desktop GUIs under Linux and/or MacOS)
- Java software development as well as scripting languages, preferably Groovy and/or Python
- Relational databases and SQL; experience with NoSQL environments is an advantage
- Docker or comparable virtualisation software
- Unit test frameworks (e.g. Junit or TestNG)
The successful candidate will have the following skills
- A proactive approach, with initiative, team spirit and good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and in distributed international teams
- Ability to Synthesise, summarise and draw conclusions, Adhere to strict standards of confidentiality
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Excellent organisational and communication skills with excellent written and spoken English
- Strong sense for quality development and documentation
What Do We Offer?
- Working at a prestigious Customer location, in a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
- A professional, pleasant atmosphere with motivated and passionate Staff, where autonomy and initiatives are encouraged
- An interesting remuneration package with a relocation allowance, if applicable
- A full-time position with an indefinite contract of employment.
We are looking for someone to start as of 1st of October 2020 or earlier.
The candidate shall be eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years.
Please send your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English).
For this position, the contact person is Mr. Olivier Lamborelle