Our aim is to research and develop innovative systems, solutions and products and provide services to the aerospace and security markets and related industries. Our activities cover manned and unmanned spacecraft, launch/re-entry vehicles, control centres, robotics and a wide range of information systems.
Space Applications Services is a company based in the Brussels area (BE) that provides products and services for the space sector in many areas from Avionics, Robotics, Human Exploration, Science and Earth Observation.
At ESA/ESTEC, the ESA Propulsion Engineering Section provides internal support to the Agency’s project teams responsible for the development of spacecraft and launchers, throughout all the project phases. The Section also supports studies and internal experimental investigations in propulsion and advanced propulsion. To support ESA’s Propulsion Engineering Section, Space Applications Services is looking for an experienced chemical propulsion engineer.
The successful candidate will be based in our customer premises at ESA, ESTEC in Noordwijk, the Netherlands.
The position belongs to the Services Department (comprised of 30 persons), Engineering Team.
The candidate will mainly report to the Engineering Team Lead.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be placed in ESA’s Propulsion Engineering Section and provide technical support on chemical propulsion for spacecrafts and launchers (liquid and solid) to the various ESA project teams, including:
- Provision of specialised support to Agency feasibility and project definition studies, preparatory programmes and approved projects in the field of chemical propulsion, including participation in Concurrent Design Facility (CDF) studies;
- Harmonisation with other ESA and national developments and monitoring of applicable development trends
- Configuration/system design of chemical propulsion systems including the initiation of appropriate critical technology developments (coordinating support by other D/TEC sections);
- Establishment and promotion of design and engineering standards in the area of chemical propulsion;
- Support or undertaking of programmes of basic experimental research and evaluation/qualification testing in the chemical propulsion in the ESA Propulsion Laboratory at ESTEC.
Assessment and development of
- Chemical propulsion novel propulsion concepts (e.g. Nuclear and Airbreathing technologies);
- Relevant advanced propulsion methods, processes and concepts (MEMS propulsion, Green Propulsion, Advanced Manufacturing etc);
Qualifications and Experience
- Master degree in a relevant Engineering discipline
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in chemical propulsion engineering for spacecrafts and/or launchers
- Proven experience in the design, development and/or testing of chemical propulsion systems and/or components for spacecraft and/or launcher applications.
- A good knowledge of other specialist technological areas involved in space propulsion i.e. materials, thermal, mechanical would be an advantage.
The successful candidate will have the following skills
- A proactive approach, with initiative and ability to work independently
- Good interpersonal skills and team spirit
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Excellent organisational and communication skills.
- Synthesise, summarise and draw conclusions
- Adhere to strict standards of confidentiality
- Work in distributed international teams
What Do We Offer?
- Working in a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
- Working at the largest European space technology centre, in a diverse range of projects and studies
- A professional, pleasant atmosphere with motivated and passionate Staff, where autonomy and initiatives are encouraged
- An interesting remuneration package with a relocation allowance, if applicable
- A full time position with an indefinite contract of employment.
The candidate shall be eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years. Due to Export Control Laws and Regulations applicable to this activity, the applicants shall not be nationals of countries under arms embargo including in particular but not limited to European or US embargo.
We are looking for someone to start as of 1st of September.
To apply, please send your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English).
For this position, the contact person is Mr. Karsten Kullack