Space Applications Services is a company at the forefront of space technology development and the provision of services for human spaceflight, exploration and earth observation missions.
Headquartered in Belgium (Brussels Area), with a research office in the Netherlands and a subsidiary in the USA, the company provides solutions for both commercial and institutional customers. We work with clients such as the European Space Agency, the European Commission, governmental and national space agencies as well as the major space industries.
We are looking for Project Managers to take responsibility for the development of products and the research and development of technologies for space and non-space applications. The projects are of differing size and complexity and with various customers including the European Space Agency/National Aeronautic and Space Administration (ESA/NASA), European Commission Horizon Framework Programme as well as managing the realisation of our own unique products.
Depending on the projects, the Project Managers should have a good knowledge of one or more of:
- Design and development of equipment, subsystems or systems for use in space (Low Earth Orbit, Lunar vicinity and Lunar surface)
- Design and development of software for use in space systems and for terrestrial/underwater use covering mobile robotics, command, control, distributed planning as well as AI and ML
- Research projects focused on raising technology readiness levels and proving new software and hardware technologies.
The positions are in the Systems Department:
- Flight Systems (FS) Division: Flight Systems and Avionics and Embedded Systems Team
- Technologies, Applications and Research (TAR) Division: Robotics Software & Intelligence (RSI) Team) and Future Projects and Exploration Team (FPX),
- Ground Software Systems (GSS) Division in the Control and Data Centres Team (CDC).
Start Date: the positions are for an immediate vacancy
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Day to day Technical and Programmatic management, and depending on the project, being the technical lead
- Leading system and software architectures definition, interfaces design and managing integrations across projects
- Planning and managing the project’s team at the company level, and (depending on projects) at the consortium level
- Acting as the main interface to customers, ensuring timely follow-up of actions
- Working in close interaction with our financial and contractual department
- Interacting closely with the technical domain leads (and acting as technical lead, depending on projects and work scope)
- Ensuring the timely release and delivery of projects deliverables, with the required quality level
- Producing required documentation.
Skills and Experience
- A Master’s (or PhD) degree with a major in a relevant engineering topic
- At least 2 years of professional experience with project management responsibilities
- Previous experience with B2B, ESA and/or EC project management is a strong asset
- For equipment, subsystem and system development projects:
- Exposure to system project management techniques
- Knowledge and experience in one or more electronic, mechanical, software engineering
- For software projects:
- Exposure to software project management techniques
- Knowledge of software engineering life cycles, Agile methodologies and Scrum experience
- Hands-on experience with Continuous Integration processes and agile software development
- Complex software architectures assemblies, deployment and testing (e.g. Docker)
- Proficiency in technical documents production
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Excellent written and spoken English.
What Do We Offer
- Working within a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands
- A professional working environment with motivated Engineers and Scientists coming from all different horizons and countries with a common passion for space
- A full-time position with an indefinite contract of employment
- A competitive remuneration package and good working conditions (see our website for details)
- An individualised training and development programme.
How To Apply
Send your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English) to the attention of Mr. Michel Ilzkovitz, indicating your main area of interest A, B or C.
The candidate shall be eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years.