To research and develop innovative systems, solutions & products
We are looking for a Systems Engineer for joining the team responsible for the study, design, prototyping, and test of enabling technologies for future missions.
The successful candidate will be based in our main office at Sint-Stevens-Woluwe (Brussels Area).
The position is in the Systems Department, as part of the Future Projects and Exploration Team.
The candidate will mainly report to Future Projects and Exploration Team Lead.
The team is in search of a talented and highly motivated individual for a full-time position in the exciting area of Exploration Systems and Payloads Engineering, in our efforts to contribute to Europe’s objective of a sustainable return to the Moon, and to the expansion of humankind into the Solar System.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Support and lead scientific and engineering studies related to future human spaceflight and exploration of the solar system
- Mission, system and concepts of operation development for exploration systems and payloads
- System design across multiple phases of their lifecycle, includes but is not limited to requirements engineering, design trade-offs and mission analysis
- Provide systems engineering expertise for the definition, development and testing of the following products in on-going projects:
- Electro-mechanical and chemical processing payloads for exploration and In-Situ Resource Utilisation (ISRU) –ALCHEMIST (ESA ISRU Demonstration Mission)
- Earth-based reactors and facilities for the production of Oxygen from Lunar regolith – ISRULAB (ESA ISRU Ground-based research investment and utilization)
- Liaise with subcontractors, suppliers, customers, as well as internal discipline experts
- Mission and system requirements management
- Support the designing, prototyping, prototype assessment, functional verification and optimization of subsystems
- Prepare technical responses to Invitations to Tender
- Responsible for the delivery of technical products for assigned projects
- Perform other assignments as required.
Skills and Experience
- A University degree in Aerospace, Systems, Mechanical, Electrical, Process Engineering or related discipline
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in the field of space systems engineering
- Experience with the system development cycle, from feasibility studies to qualification and production
- Excellent organisational and communication (documentation, presentation, interpersonal) skills
- Passion for the mission and willingness to grow and thrive with the company
- Ability to synthesise, summarise and draw conclusions
- Ability to adhere to strict standards of confidentiality and deadlines
- Ability to work in distributed international teams
- Intellectual curiosity, flexibility and capability of assimilating new knowledge quickly
- A proactive approach, with initiative and ability to work independently
- Flexibility and willingness to travel
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Excellent written and spoken English.
The following are considered an asset:
- Experience with/in:
- Project management, conducting trade-off studies, leading or participating in integrated tests, professional design of mining equipment, or chemical process engineering
- Either performing or supporting the development of thermal and structural designs for spacecraft/payload or complex Earth-based systems, and CAD modelling experience (e.g. Solidworks).
- Knowledge of:
- International spaceflight programmes, spaceflight standards (ECSS/NASA), systems engineering processes (e.g. MBSE) and tools (e.g. MATLAB/Simulink, STK, FreeFlyer)
- Geology/Earth/Lunar/Physical, Space Resources, tribology, materials science.
What Do We Offer
- Working within a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
- A professional working environment with motivated Engineers and Scientists coming from all different horizons and countries with a common passion for space
- A full-time position with an indefinite contract of employment
- A competitive remuneration package and good working conditions
- An individualised training and development programmes.