Product Assurance & Safety Engineer
Space Applications Services is a company at the forefront of space technology development and the provision of services for human spaceflight, exploration and earth observation missions. Headquartered in Belgium (Brussels Area), with a research office in the Netherlands and a subsidiary in the USA, the company provides solutions for both commercial and institutional customers. We work with clients such as the European Space Agency, the European Commission, governmental and national space agencies as well as the major space industries.
The company develops payloads, avionics, robotics technology and products, and provides complete mission operations control centre solutions to EN9100 standards. The company also provides engineering, science and training services, including astronaut training. From our headquarters, we are in daily contact with the International Space Station (ISS) ensuring our Customers’ research is successful.
We are looking for a Product Assurance & Safety Engineer to cover both Product Assurance and Safety domains of expertise.
The position is in the Product Assurance & Safety (PA&S) Department (comprised of 3 persons).
The candidate will mainly report to the PA&S Department Manager and will interact with the other Department & Project Managers.
- Location: Sint-Stevens-Woluwe (Brussels Area)
- Start date: At the earliest
Tasks and Responsibilities
1. Product Assurance:
- Establishing the PA requirements baseline & producing the required PA documentation for assigned projects
- Guiding and monitoring the application and procurement of EEE parts, Materials and Processes (M&P) and controlling the implementation of applicable requirements
- Reviewing customer and supplier documentation for compliance with the assigned projects’ PA requirements
- Representing PA in progress meetings, Change Control Board meetings and project reviews at all levels
- Supporting the NCR/SPR process and Risk Management activities
- Assisting in the control of the MAIT processes performed in the laboratory and cleanroom (in particular routine inspection of Flight Hardware)
- Performing routine inspection tasks typically on EEE parts, PCB, harness, connectors and mechanical systems.
- Establishing the Safety requirements baseline for assigned projects
- Preparing Safety Analyses, Flight Safety Data Packages, Flight Safety Certificates, Maintenance Safety Assessments and Hazard Reports per SSP 30599, SSP 51700 and SSP 50021 ISS Standards
- Participating in the Safety Review Boards with ESA, NASA and others
- Ensuring the satisfactory close-out of the safety verifications identified in Hazard Reports.
Skills and Experience
- A Master’s Degree in engineering or scientific field with at least 3 years of experience in Product Assurance and/or Safety
- Demonstrated/practical experience with:
- PA within a quality system certified to EN9100
- Configuration Management
- Working in laboratory and cleanroom environment
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Excellent written and spoken English.
Considered as Assets
- Familiarity with ECSS standards, in particular, the ECSS-Q series
- Human Space Flight with application to the ISS, and Deep Space Gateway, for scientific payloads and space flight hardware development.
What Do We Offer
- Working within a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
- A professional working environment with motivated Engineers and Scientists coming from a range of countries with a common passion for space
- A full-time position with an indefinite contract of employment
- A competitive remuneration package and good working conditions
- An individualised training and development programme.