Services to the aerospace, security markets & related industries
Space Applications Services is a company at the forefront of space technology development and the provision of services for human spaceflight, exploration and earth observation missions. Headquartered in Belgium (Brussels Area), with a research office in the Netherlands and a subsidiary in the USA, the company provides solutions for both commercial and institutional customers. We work with clients such as the European Space Agency, the European Commission, governmental and national space agencies as well as the major space industries.
The company develops payloads, avionics, robotics technology and products, and provides complete mission operations control centre solutions to EN9100 standards. The company also provides engineering, integration, science and training services, including astronaut training. In our headquarters, we have a control centre room that operates commercial payloads on the International Space Station, and a laboratory comprising a cleanroom.
The successful candidate will be part of the ISS Payloads Planning, Analysis, and Integration Support Service Team and will be assigned at our customer’s premises at the ESA- ESTEC in Noordwijk, The Netherlands. The candidate will mainly report to the relevant service manager and the ESA line manager.
The position is in the Services Department as part of the Engineering & Integration Services Team, within Space Applications Services’ structure, where the successful candidate will report to the Engineering & Integration Services Team Lead.
At the European Space Agency / ESTEC, the ISS Payloads Planning, Analysis and Integration Support Service Team takes care of overall coordination and monitoring of the integration of Columbus and ESA payloads on the ISS, covering final engineering integration, planning and operations aspects.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Feasibility assessment of payloads for their inclusion in upcoming increments
- Coordination and/or Planning of:
- Payload integration activities of class 2 payloads operated in Columbus or International Partner elements
- Hardware OpNom and Label requests
- Payload specific crew training dates, training model and Payload Operation Data Files (PODF) delivery dates
- The Request of various specific processes or services, such as cold storage, medical data collection
- Coordination and agreement of shared use of facilities, resources, and support functions with international partners
- Generation of monthly Payload Integration Manager (PIM) reports and schedules
- Participation in monthly Planning, Analysis and Integration (PAI) meetings
- Maintaining of payload/experiment integration schedules; contributions to Increment Integration Plans
- Supporting the:
- Certificate of Flight Readiness (CoFR) campaigns
- Launcher integration planning and manifest requests
- Preventive maintenance planning, and review of Increment Maintenance Plans
- Logistics Service for cargo transportation and integration
- Payload development reviews and safety reviews
- USOCs in the development and review of PODFs, Mission Operations and Implementation Concepts (MOICs), Experiment Sequence tests (EST Plans), etc.
Skills and Experience
- A University degree or equivalent qualification in an Engineering, or Scientific (biology, medicine, physics, chemistry) discipline
- At least 4 years of professional experience in aerospace and/or human spaceflight activities
- Experience with:
- Columbus and/or ISS operations and/or processes
- Project Management
- Or familiarity with microgravity platforms, research and operations
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Excellent written and spoken English.
What Do We Offer
- Working within a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands and in the USA-Houston via our subsidiary company, AANA
- A professional working environment with motivated Engineers and Scientists coming from all different horizons and countries with a common passion for space
- A full-time position with an indefinite contract of employment
- A competitive remuneration package and good working conditions
- An individualised training and development programme
- Full support related to the relocation.
The candidate shall be eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years.
We are looking for someone to start immediately.