Archangel Lightworks is a start-up specialised in space laser communications based in Harwell Space Campus, Oxfordshire.
Archangel Lightworks is a start-up specialised in space laser communications based in Harwell Space Campus, Oxfordshire. Founded in mid-2017, we have secured long-term funding and successfully demonstrated several novel prototypes related to laser transmission and efficient perpendicular solar concentration. Our mission is to make 10x more data download possible to meet the demand from the growing satellites market, especially smallsats, delivering more data from the earth orbit to the ground at higher speed.
Role & responsibilities
We are looking for an innovative, reliable and experienced (2-5 years) Space Product Assurance/ Quality Assurance (PA/QA) Manager to ensure high output quality aiming to the long-term success of our business and augment our rapidly growing team. Generally speaking your presence should help us delivering great, reliable products/ services that may even set new industry standards!
The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and maintaining a PA process adapted to our start-up, improving industrial processes, product quality/compliance, and maintaining efficiency. Your duties will include inspecting procedures and outputs, and identifying mistakes or non-conformity issues, and organizing the verification of product. You should have solid experience in quality control together with great attention to details, and be able to make professional conclusions about the quality of products and services.
Examples of job responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Develop methods for inspection, testing, sampling and training.
- Review design documentation for compliance with contract requirements. Review and analyse procedures and report quality-related issues
- Ensure quality related deliverables meet the quality assurance program and customer requirements. Verify the reliability and consistency by checking processes and final output.
- Manage records of quality reports, statistical reviews and relevant documentation. Maintenance of project configuration items lists.
- Collect and analyse quality data; Initiate non-conformance, corrective actions and perform root cause analysis. Proactive solutions suggestion.
- Supervise all operations that affect quality. Enforce the compliance with all legal standards. Oversee the usage of standards and policies
- Support and guide inspectors, technicians and other staff. Interact with external quality assurance officers during on-site inspections
Interested applicants may also consider starting first as a fixed-term consultant while rolling into a permanent role although this is less preferred.
- Knowledge of ECSS standards in PA/QA, testing and verification.
- Product assurance experience in the space industry, ideally for cubesats/nanosatellites.
- Demonstrated ability to diagnose, report, track and resolve quality related issues.
- Substantial work experience of a scientific, engineering or technical nature involving data analysis and statistical methods.
- Proficient with MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) in STEM subject or equivalent.
- Strong numerical skills, with great attention to detail and a results
- Proficient English, positive attitude, self-driven and interested in working in a start-up environment
- Independent, quick learner, can structure and show initiatives to thoroughly evaluate and solve problems from different angles, proactively push progress forward
Desirable additional skills/experience:
- Practical experience working in PA/QA within the space industry, ideally on Cubesats.
- Experience of product assurance on space projects working to ECSS requirements.
- Chartered status awarded by an engineering, quality assurance or scientific organisation.
- Knowledge of inspection requirements and techniques for electronic and optical assemblies.
- Knowledge of ESA forbidden materials/components.
- Knowledge of laser safety and cleanliness for space systems.
- Experience working on Cubesat projects, UAV, HAPS projects.
- Certification of quality control, such as ISO 9000, will be a bonus
£35000 – £45000 baseline. We pay higher for those with relevant skills towards top of the industry, demonstrating positive impact and taking more responsibility.
We also believe in regular recognition and building a high-performance team. We work around delivery-focused, agile sprints such that you will be making visible contributions early and regularly, with a sustainable work-life balance. There are options for flexible working hours, (some) working from home, travel and training bursaries, custom benefits, as needed. We also work in the buzzing Harwell Space Campus with regular events on site (networking, workshops), and delicious lunch time international cuisines.
Dates and duration:
Suitable candidate to join as soon as possible, with the start date negotiable.
Our offices are with the European Space Agency at Harwell, near Oxford. Some remote work and overseas travel will be possible.
We’re intending to fill this role by mid October. Early application is strongly advised as the position may be filled sooner.