SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
As a space suit specialist at SpaceX, you will contribute to history by driving the creation of space suits for our future missions.
- Manage build documentation (work orders), in process inspections, and issue resolution for Crew Dragon space suits and crew equipment
- Develop production procedures / specifications by working closely with design engineers and internal shops
- Assist in materials selection and sourcing to meet design requirements
- Design effective line layouts for the production of parts
- Design and develop trainings programs for technicians
- Own responsibility for resource management, planning, and interfacing with other production groups
- Support the design/patterning and release of parts for our next generation vehicles
- Support the integration process of components to sub-assemblies and sub-assemblies to the vehicle to improve the bill of process
- Participate in on-going stockroom organization, maintenance, and improvements
- Perform and promote safe practices at all times
- Maintain a professional and neat work area
- Bachelor’s degree in manufacturing, industrial design, mechanical engineering or design
- 5+ years of experience in manufacturing of soft goods
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in taking products through design and into production
- Demonstrated independent fabrication experience and responsibility for directing design
- Formal training in apparel patternmaking or fashion design from an accredited college, university or trade school in which college credit, a certification or BFA/BA/AA in Fashion Design or related field was issued
- Experience in flight suit manufacturing
- Prior work in an industrial apparel or technical soft goods manufacturing
- Experience working with technical fabrics and production techniques including bonding, seam sealing, sculpting
- Experience managing production teams and driving improvements to production processes and takt times
- Ability to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.