We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet efficiently and safely operates a unique large heterogeneous fleet of >200 satellites on-orbit. Managing these valuable assets is a highly technical feat and the teams that do so, consist of skilled engineers from a variety of backgrounds, having collectively worked on more than 30 space missions.
As a Space Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for the efficient, stable and safe operation of the largest Earth Observation fleet of satellites. This involves:
- Spacecraft commissioning and anomaly resolution
- Maintaining uptime and fleet performance
- Lead and execute on-orbit experiments and special activities
- Analyzing spacecraft data
- Develop tools and processes to support efficient multi-mission operations.
Our goal is to minimize manual operator oversight, so a large part of this role will be automating ongoing mission operations and optimizing workflows.
You can anticipate working in a close collaborative environment, frequently communicating with hardware and software experts to understand anomalies, develop procedures and shape the way we do operations. Our team is the first to detect and triage anomalous behavior, therefore an understanding of how each spacecraft subsystem relates to one another is important.
Expect to be in the middle of it all, as the work of the Mission Ops team is essential to Planet’s success.
- BS in Aerospace/Software Engineering or similar
- Fundamental understanding of aerospace systems
- Experience with Python or other programming languages
- Experience in exploratory data analysis and visualization
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Enthusiasm to dig down rabbit holes to debug an issue when needed.
- Ability to quickly pick up new concepts and to contribute with innovative solutions
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to keep several independent efforts in mind simultaneously and be able to rapidly context-switch between them
- Problem solving oriented and self starter attitude
- Previous experience in spacecraft or related flight operations
- Previous space systems integration & test experience.
- Experience in process automation, from design to software development.
- Experience in risk assessment/management and failure investigation
- Experience in machine learning
- Experience with Unix/Linux and Git version control.
- Experience using project management tools and issue trackers