Space Systems Intern – AOCS (Summer 2023) [12-16 Months]
WE ARE ON A MISSION TO BUILD THE INTERNET FOR SPACE Kepler provides real-time, continuous connectivity for space, making space-generated data instantaneously accessible and empowering humanity to become a spacefaring civilization.
Kepler is on a Mission to bring the internet to space. Incorporated in 2015, Kepler’s guiding star is to enable the space economy through the creation of a communication network in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) that will provide connectivity services to other space missions, be they on orbit in LEO, MEO, GEO, or beyond. With an expanding base of early customers and our first 19 satellites in orbit, Kepler is continuing to grow and expand its most important asset – the Team! Based out of our HQ in Toronto and with an office in the UK and a newly formed office in the US we are building towards a truly global company delivering a product for the whole world.
Kepler’s AOCS system is crucial to achieving our goals and delivering the best products to our customers, so we are on the hunt for top-tier AOCS Interns.
Your focus will be on assisting the growing team in developing and building Kepler’s AOCS subsystem. You will be integral to testing, validating and developing Kepler’s AOCS flight software and hardware simulation capabilities. You will assist in the development of Kepler’s AOCS ground test framework and validate the performance of the flight hardware. You will build upon existing designs using data analysis and model-based approaches to produce improvements and iterate on the current design of the AOCS system.
AOCS Flight Software and Hardware Development and Validation:
- Develop segments of the flight software that interface with existing AOCS controller, state estimator and orbit determination software.
- Perform software-in-the-loop simulations and evaluate the performance of the AOCS subsystem.
- Work with systems, operations, and design engineers to simulate and test our AOCS hardware.
Space Systems AIT:
- Support the development of our space assets through hands-on assembly, testing, and problem-solving.
- Work hands-on in the final stages of flight prep, as well as support ongoing automation of test procedures and debugging.
- 3+ years in an engineering degree program.
- Relevant experience through past jobs/internships, hobbies or university design teams.
- Familiarity with space environment concepts, and spacecraft fundamentals.
- Comfortable in a lab environment.
- Ability to work in a team and independently with little supervision.
- Acceptance into a master’s in aerospace engineering, or equivalent
- Experience in a University design team or building hardware/software for a personal project
- Python scripting experience
- C++ software development experience
- Knowledge of satellite design
Kepler Communications Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, people who identify as LGBT and others who may contribute to diversification in our workplace.
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all persons with disabilities, Kepler will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact our People & Culture team to make your accommodation needs known and we will consult with you to ensure suitable accommodation is provided.