Expanding the Frontiers of Space Astronomy
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is a multi-mission science operations center for NASA’s flagship observatories. Our world-class astronomical research center is based on the Johns Hopkins University Homewood campus in Baltimore, Maryland
This position will support hybrid work from home. Candidates must reside in our in our area to be able to report on-site when needed.
This position requires US Citizenship or Permanent Residence to meet ITAR requirements.
The Data Management Division (DMD) is seeking an experienced Senior Software Engineer (DevOps) to help build and deploy software assets for our missions. Our team is geared towards operating in a DevOps mode, supporting a more reliable and reproducible process for continuous integration and delivery of all software products within DMD. You will work with a team that is passionate about the work they do in support of astronomers around the world.
The Senior Software Engineer (DevOps) Role
We are in search of an skilled and driven individual to join our team in an On-Premise / Private Cloud computing environment. Your role will involve upholding STScI’s prominent stature as a global pioneer in astronomy software development and the provision of top-tier, science ready data. Your contributions will be vital in constructing developmental resources for missions oriented towards adopting a DevOps approach. This approach aims to accelerate and enhance the dependability of software deliverables through swifter and more consistent development and deployment processes.
You will join a team of software developers and astronomers to take the software, hardware, and tools being developed in Data Management Division (DMD) and make them available to STScI staff and the science community.
- Design and develop robust, scalable and reliable CICD solutions for DMD
- Assist team in enhancing, maintaining and supporting existing tools and processes used in the build and delivery of products developed by DMD
- Mentor and provide technical leadership and guidance to other DevOps Engineers within the team
- Facilitate knowledge transfer and offer technical guidance and support across teams within DMD to accelerate adoption of CICD principals
- Work with senior engineering staff to evaluate new tools and technologies
- Build monitoring, custom dashboards and reporting capabilities using Datadog
Your Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
You’re a creative, highly motivated, engaged and driven DevOps Engineer looking for an exciting opportunity to automate CICD processes. You can work across teams to develop a shared purpose, vision and strategy for moving our organization forward. You have significant experience streamlining software integration and deployment processes by incorporating CICD best practices enabling organizations to more reliably deploy software of higher quality and greater frequency.
You thrive in an environment that offers you significant freedom to develop novel solutions but you also have a demonstrated commitment to excellence. You understand the critical role that automation plays in building reliable systems and you embrace the ‘DevOps’ mentality and believe that engineers should share operations ownership of the systems they build.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Software Engineering or a relevant field with at least 5+ years of experience in Information Technology and 3+ years of experience automating CICD pipelines
- Experience developing well designed CICD pipelines using (Ansible, Jenkins, GitHub Actions, GitLab CI, etc.)
- Extensive experience in Python, proficient in Bash
- Comfortable administering RHEL (7/8/9), Ubuntu and/or Debian as well as deploying services using Docker, Podman and Kubernetes
- Version control experience with Git, including branching, tagging and release management
- Ability to context-switch, supporting developers and/or operations staff on an interrupt basis, while focusing on building software tools to reduce churn
- Experience mentoring and providing technical leadership and guidance to other members of team
- This position requires US Citizenship or Permanent Residence to meet ITAR requirements
Desirable but optional:
- Experience leading a scrum team and managing ticket workflows
- Experience architecting infrastructure and configuration requirements
- Experience with Terraform, Rancher and/or production level Kubernetes systems
- Some experience with Java and C
The starting position and salary are commensurate with education and experience. We offer an excellent and generous benefits package. STScI offers a flexible and welcoming workspace for all
TO APPLY: Share your experience by uploading a resume and completing an online application. Applications received by September 25, 2023 will receive full consideration. Applications received after this date will be considered until the position is filled.
STScI embraces the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in creating a first-rate community. We reflect this deep dedication in strongly encouraging women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities . Veterans, disabled individuals, or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce.
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements that are included for protection and to assist us in our record-keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)