The successful candidate will be a technically accomplished electro-optical payload lead with prior experience in engineering and/or technical/programmatic management roles for technology development, design, manufacturing, test and operations for optical space payloads and instruments for remote sensing. Experience in active and passive EO/IR payloads that are comprised of telescope/optics, lasers, optical filters, focal plane arrays, command, control, and processing electronics, transceivers, mechanisms, active and passive thermal control subsystems, and structure are desired.
- Close interaction and/or leadership of systems and design engineers to rapidly assess conceptual designs, develop solutions, and establish system requirements and performance parameters
- Contribute to subsystem architecture definition through identification and sizing of components and proposing advanced technology pursuits
- Develop major EO system level interfaces, system requirements, and verification as documented in specifications, ICDs, and verification plans.
- Leadership of highly technical teams through challenging, cross-disciplinary projects from low TRL to flight hardware delivery.
- Participation in all phases of product development, from invention/inception through operational sustainment.
- Direct contribution to technical business development activities.
- BSc or higher degree in optical sciences, physics, or a relevant engineering field and 4 years of experience in Airborne or Space instrumentation and optical systems
- Experience in the development of electro-optical payload systems for space or airborne environments
- Experience with functional, program, and/or technical management
- Experienced in systems engineering best practices
- Strong technical writing and verbal communication skills
- Experience in the design of electro-optical payloads in the infrared wavelength regimes (NIR, SWIR, MWIR, and/or LWIR)
- Direct experience in the detailed design phases for optical payload systems for space