We're your ride to space.
Spaceflight is revolutionizing the business of space transportation through its comprehensive and innovative suite of rideshare launch and mission management services. The company offers state-of-the-art satellite integration capabilities, including flight and ground support hardware, licensing and logistics management, and mission expertise to support each customer’s specific mission needs. Spaceflight’s diverse portfolio of launch partners across the globe enables the company to offer routine launch options and unprecedented launch flexibility. Based in Seattle, Spaceflight has successfully launched hundreds of satellites and is a part of the Mitsui & Co., Ltd. portfolio, operating as an independent, U.S.-based company. For more information, visit http://www.spaceflight.com.
- Spaceflight is seeking a Director of Systems Engineering to manage our systems engineering group for ongoing space launch missions and advanced development programs, including the Sherpa orbital transfer vehicle family.
- As Director of Systems Engineering, you will be responsible for the team that forms the backbone of the organization, as the systems engineering team is deeply involved in all Spaceflight services and developments from concept to flight. You will work with a diverse and expert cross-functional team to rapidly develop new systems and technologies that launch fast, pushing the envelope for space transportation.
- The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, positive, and dedicated individual that enjoys working in and creating a fast-paced, dynamic team environment. Spaceflight seeks team members that act with high integrity, are willing to serve wherever they are needed, and are dedicated to continual learning and improvement.
- Lead the Systems Engineering team including management and tasking on an as needed basis
- Execute Spaceflight systems engineering vision, strategy, and continuous improvement in coordination with Engineering and Quality leadership.
- Ensure Spaceflight product architectures, requirements, verification methods, and analysis are working cohesively to execute missions successfully and deliver all required documentation on time.
- Cultivate a high performing team with focused professional development, performance reviews, and hiring practices.
- Partner across the organization, with Mission Management, Quality, Engineering, and Production, to develop and maintain strong mission assurance processes for Spaceflight missions and hardware development programs.
- Engage with business development on future mission assessments and identify key opportunities for product improvement.
- Own technical risk management processes over multiple missions and production programs ensuring there are recommendations on how to minimize and mitigate risk
- Own and manage mission technical design reviews, inclusive of 1) development and tailoring of review criteria, and 2) building and chairing technical design review boards
- Manage Anomaly Investigation Boards, appointing leads to investigate anomalies and coordinating across the organization to establish root cause and implement process improvements to avoid future anomalies.
- 8+ years relevant experience working satellite/spacecraft development programs from inception to on-orbit operations
- Experience working with spacecraft hardware and software simulators (“flat sat” testing)
- Understanding of spacecraft systems, including TT&C, EPS, ADCS, C&DH, thermal control, propulsion systems, flight software development, and orbital mechanics.
- Demonstrated experience working with integrated product teams in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Demonstrated experience in team management, with focus on team members’ professional development
- Experience generating requirements and verification processes from concept through verification
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International
- Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization form the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
- Familiarity with Orbital Debris Assessment Reports and related tools (such as NASA’s Debris Analysis Software)
- Prior technical experience working on, or with, launch vehicles
- Prior technical experience working on spacecraft operated in cislunar orbits, with an emphasis in geo-operated spacecraft.
Spaceflight is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace