We're your ride to space.
Spaceflight is revolutionizing the business of space transportation through its comprehensive and innovative suite of rideshare launch and mission management services. The company offers state-of-the-art satellite integration capabilities, including flight and ground support hardware, licensing and logistics management, and mission expertise to support each customer’s specific mission needs. Spaceflight’s diverse portfolio of launch partners across the globe enables the company to offer routine launch options and unprecedented launch flexibility. Based in Seattle, Spaceflight has successfully launched hundreds of satellites and is a part of the Mitsui & Co., Ltd. portfolio, operating as an independent, U.S.-based company.
Spaceflight, Inc. is looking for a hands-on mechanical engineer to design and develop concepts based on stated requirements and objectives, then mature that design using best practices, input from fellow engineers, and your own engineering judgement. You will frequently interact with flight, prototype, and ground support hardware within a multidisciplinary team. You will create designs using 3D CAD software, select parts and materials, and generate and maintain manufacturing documentation such as mechanical drawings. You will work closely with our manufacturing team to aid in the assembly and verification of your designs. Spaceflight is actively developing and producing orbital transfer vehicles, custom flight structures, sequencers, and many other unique systems to support the expanding needs of the small satellite community. This position will make an immediate impact in a small, fast paced engineering environment.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, positive, and dedicated individual that enjoys working in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment. Spaceflight seeks team members that act with high integrity, are willing to serve wherever they are needed, and are dedicated to continual learning and improvement.
- Design spacecraft mechanical structures, components, and assemblies, using 3D CAD modeling software
- Generate and maintain engineering and manufacturing documentation such as drawings, bills of materials, etc.
- Deliver on development and production plans to meet program cost, schedule, and technical objectives
- Document design, analysis, and test results in technical reports and presentations
- Coordinate engineering design packages with systems engineers, electrical engineers, manufacturing, quality, and program management
- Use engineering judgement to make decisions when all required data may not be available
- Seek out new technologies, tools, and approaches
- B.S. in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 3+ years of experience in mechanical engineering in an aerospace industry
- Experience with metallic component design
- Demonstrable experience maturing designs from initial concepts to detailed manufacturing drawings
- Working knowledge of the ANSI Y14.5 dimensioning and tolerancing specification
- Able to perform hand calcs and simple analyses to inform designs
- Excellent attention to detail, task planning, oral and written communication skills
- Must be highly motivated and self-directed
- Candidate must work well in a fast-paced and dynamic team environment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Person
- Proficiency with PTC Creo (5.0+) and Windchill strongly desired
- Possess strong team inter-team cooperation and organization skills
- Technical background and/or expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Designing weldments and sheet metal parts
- Routing harnessing, cabling, or tubing