We're your ride to space.
Spaceflight is revolutionizing the business of space transportation through its comprehensive and innovative suite of rideshare launch and mission management services. The company offers state-of-the-art satellite integration capabilities, including flight and ground support hardware, licensing and logistics management, and mission expertise to support each customer’s specific mission needs. Spaceflight’s diverse portfolio of launch partners across the globe enables the company to offer routine launch options and unprecedented launch flexibility. Based in Seattle, Spaceflight has successfully launched hundreds of satellites and is a part of the Mitsui & Co., Ltd. portfolio, operating as an independent, U.S.-based company.
Spaceflight, Inc. is looking to hire a Spacecraft Systems Engineer to support ongoing space launch missions and advanced development programs, including the Sherpa orbital transfer vehicle family. Spaceflight is actively producing custom flight structures, sequencers, orbital transfer vehicles, and many other unique systems to support the expanding needs of the small satellite community. You will run orbital mission analyses, work with subsystem suppliers through full life cycle product development, build mission operations plans and operate satellites on-orbit, analyze on-orbit data, and work to be a technical expert across the Sherpa system. As a systems engineer at Spaceflight, you will work with a diverse and expert cross-functional team to rapidly develop new systems and technologies that launch fast, and push the envelope for space transportation. If you’re skilled in, and excited by, spacecraft design, mission planning, hardware and software testing, and on-orbit operations this is the role for you.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, positive, and dedicated individual that enjoys working in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment. Spaceflight seeks team members that act with high integrity, are willing to serve wherever they are needed, and are dedicated to continual learning and improvement.
- Run mission analyses for in-space deployments, including orbital debris and recontact, mass properties, and spacecraft tip-off
- Create and maintain spacecraft technical budgets for TT&C, power system, thermal control, and propulsion performance
- Create and maintain spacecraft CONOPS, architecture, and other design documents
- Contribute to on-orbit operations, including mission simulation testing (HIL/SIL) and maneuver screening, flight software/maneuver validation and test
- Focus on continuous improvement across systems engineering tasks, working to improve technical communication across the company, and with external customers and suppliers
- Own and maintain technical risk processes on multiple production programs
- Using systems engineering skills, identify program requirements, verification methods, test plans, analyses, and test programs, and provide all required documentation for successful launches of customer spacecraft, company orbital transfer vehicles, and other systems.
- 3+ years relevant experience working satellite/spacecraft development programs from inception to on-orbit operations
- Prior technical experience working on, or with, launch vehicles
- Proficiency with STK and SOLIS
- Proficiency in scripting languages such as MATLAB or Python
- Experience working with spacecraft hardware and software simulators (“flat sat” testing)
- Solid understanding of space and launch environments, dynamics, and orbital mechanics
- Understanding of spacecraft systems, including TT&C, EPS, ADCS, C&DH, thermal control, and propulsion (both chemical and electric)
- Demonstrated experience working with integrated product teams in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Experience with requirements and verification processes from concept through verification
Proficiency in systems engineering tools, such as Jama and/or DOORS
- Familiarity with Orbital Debris Assessment Reports and related tools (such as NASA’s Debris Analysis Software)
- Experience working on technical proposals
- Experience interfacing with diverse customers and suppliers across the aerospace industry
- Program/vendor management experience for spacecraft component or subsystem vendors
Spaceflight is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.