We're your ride to space.
Spaceflight is revolutionizing the business of space transportation through its comprehensive and innovative suite of rideshare launch and mission management services. The company offers state-of-the-art satellite integration capabilities, including flight and ground support hardware, licensing and logistics management, and mission expertise to support each customer’s specific mission needs. Spaceflight’s diverse portfolio of launch partners across the globe enables the company to offer routine launch options and unprecedented launch flexibility. Based in Seattle, Spaceflight has successfully launched hundreds of satellites and is a part of the Mitsui & Co., Ltd. portfolio, operating as an independent, U.S.-based company. For more information, visit http://www.spaceflight.com.
Spaceflight, Inc. is looking for a Staff Electrical Engineer to design and implement new avionics components and subsystems into Spaceflight’s growing family of space vehicle sequencers, control hardware, and mission-agnostic launch equipment. Spaceflight is actively developing and producing custom flight structures, sequencers, orbital transfer vehicles, and many other unique systems to support the expanding needs of the small satellite community.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, positive, and dedicated individual that enjoys working in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment. Spaceflight seeks team members that act with high integrity, are willing to serve wherever they are needed, and are dedicated to continual learning and improvement. The successful applicant will have a strong knowledge of space avionics and harness design, a background in developing new components and systems through full product lifecycles and will be passionate about space transportation and rapid hardware development.
- Provide engineering expertise in the design, development, integration, test, and launch of new space avionics systems including circuit boards, components, harnessing, electrical support equipment and other hardware
- Duties will include subsystem design and prototyping, schematic development, debugging, hardware issue tracking, component selection and derating, functional verification, hardware testing, and review of external avionics vendors components and systems
- Manage vendors, purchase orders, and other hardware needs for development programs
- Provide input and expertise to multiple programs at once, as program schedules overlap
- Focus on continuous improvement us
- 5+ years of experience in the design and manufacturing of space-rated electronic circuits and cards with a microprocessor / FPGA focus in one or more of the following areas: electric power systems, hardware interface devices, RF devices, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or equivalent
- Experience integrating analog and digital components and devices including power supplies, analog-to-digital converters, filters, amplifiers, etc. from specification through production
- Strong emphasis on full life cycle development of new electronics subsystems and assemblies
- Experience leading the development and testing of real-time embedded systems with a focus on modular and extensible architectures
- Experience with space hardware design factors including RF, radiation, component derating analysis, FMECA, FTA, EMI/EMC, manufacturability, etc.
- Experience with MIL-STD-461 and similar environmental standards
- Strong understanding of computer systems, electrical ground support equipment, scripting tools, and other automation methods
- Experience in schematic layouts, harness design and manufacturing including understanding NASA-STD-8739.4, IPC/WHMA-A-620B, J-STD-001 Space Addendum, and other applicable design standards
- Experience using the following development tools: Altium, MATLAB/Simulink, SPICE
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Person
- Master’s degree in electrical or computer engineering
- Experience in bare metal and/or VHDL design and implementation
- Background in electrical system test and validation
- Experience with test automation and efficient data processing (Labview, Python)
- Ability to travel to remote launch sites for avionics testing, integration, and support
- Possess strong team leadership and inter-team cooperation and organization skills
- Technical background and/or expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Guidance, navigation, and control analyses
- Thermal or structural analysis
- Mechanical design of flight structures
- Design of space-based electronics, communications and/or other systems
- Spacecraft on-orbit operations and mission planning
Spaceflight is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.