SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
As an operations and integration engineer supporting Dragon avionics hardware in the loop (HITL), you will have the unique opportunity to work with a cross functional team of engineers that bridge the gap between vehicle architecture, analysis, and flight software. You will be equally anchored in all disciplines giving you the ability to spearhead change at the inception of product development, through implementation and validation on the HITL systems.
Your creativity and relentless commitment to quality will be expected to analyze, create and maintain systems designs, define and incorporate changes, and develop robust processes to validate flight software prior to incorporation into the flight vehicle. You will also put your engineering knowledge to the test by performing real-time troubleshooting on the HITL system and hardware as it goes from the design phase through build and maintenance. Our fundamental goal is to allow humanity to explore the stars; with it comes extreme responsibility to ensure the safety of the crew and payload by having a robust system to test and validate the flight software prior to launch.
- Represent the avionics system in vehicle-level cross-disciplinary trades and troubleshoot issues on hardware in the loop (HITL) in a timely manner
- Work with engineers across the department to develop and maintain hardware in the loop (HITL) network architecture and hardware design to support Dragon vehicles
- Analyze test results and root cause issues that require in-depth investigations across simulated hardware vehicle systems on the testbed
- Work collaboratively with other teams and customers to spacecraft define the scope of development projects and initial product requirements as new designs move from concept, through prototype, and into production
- Lead system-oriented projects including creation, maintenance, and communication of development schedules with sufficient detail to ensure that all assigned personnel are aware of theirs tasks and deadlines as well as identify internal and external resources required to support the project
- Develop, execute, and document the avionics system verification on HITL system at the system-level and validate the as-built HITL system is “go for launch”
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field, science, or math
- 1+ year of experience using software tools such as Matlab, C++, or Python
- 2+ years of experience with electrical component design, system level integration of electronic components or system level testing via professional experience, internships, research and/or outside the classroom projects
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Software fluency, enabling automation of test or analysis tasks and manipulation of large data sets
- Experience installing and troubleshooting various electronic sensors and components
- Familiarization with Linus systems and network troubleshooting
- Competence with electrical test equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc.)
- Experience working with NI PXI chassis and troubleshooting
- Experience with 3D CAD software
- Experience with wire harnesses and associated sub-components
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together with the ability to assess risk and make design and development decisions without all available data
- Experience leading project teams such as Formula SAE or Hybrid Electric Vehicle
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills
- Strong sense of accountability and integrity with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Minimal travel will be required
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.