Making Humanity Multiplanetary
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
With the advancement of space flight and the introduction of the crew to SpaceX vehicles, it is imperative that its products communicate professionalism, efficiency, and innovation while inspiring generations of people. The key challenge of this role is that the aesthetics design process within the aerospace industry is relatively new and uncharted territory.
There are several sub-teams within the design team at SpaceX with different focus areas. Using industrial design best practices, SpaceX designers will deliver products that inspire the world while meeting the needs of engineering, manufacturing, and operations. Design team members will also be fundamental in the education and implementation of design process elements such as digital modeling, scale model prototyping, and theme development, and production integration.
- Create and execute design solutions for problems of form, usability, physical ergonomics, marketing, and brand development
- Provide illustrations to quickly communicate design trades and support engineering milestones
- Support engineering department with class-a surfacing and sketch models ranging from broad design themes to component-level design
- Collaborate with the fabrication team to complete prototypes
- Aid and develop prototyping process within SpaceX which meets engineering and program milestones and provides operations with testing properties
- Work with CMF designers to create designs that consider the opportunities and limits of the color and trim vision, and work with them to create a unified vision for the designs
- Work with suppliers to achieve the best possible product in terms of craftsmanship, cost, and engineering, while also staying as close to the design vision as possible
- Bachelor’s degree in a design discipline (e.g. industrial, transportation, product, architecture)
- 1+ years professional experience in transportation/industrial design in a production environment
- 1+ years of professional digital modeling experience with a 3D modeling platform (such as IG, NX)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1+ years professional experience with advanced design programs at OEM
- Exceptional design, visualization, and graphic skills
- Ability to verbally and graphically communicate design concepts
- Excellent judgment of design proportions and proposals
- Ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers
- Advanced technical knowledge of prototyping, manufacturing, and assembly processes
- Ability to transform 2D to 3D modeling and to manage large assembly models
- Experience creating and maintaining cross-functional working relationships
- Ability to work extended hours, weekends, and offsite as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify us.