SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
- Splice single mode or multi-mode fiber optic cables, including terminating various types of fiber optic connectors (ST, SC, LC)
- Use fiber optic scopes, wave front interferometers, and/or polishers
- Install and dress fiber optic cables
- Non-destructive optical cleaning and handling
- Provide proper laser operation and safety (near infrared and visible)
- Work with various optical bonding agents including alignment during bonding processes
- Use of mechanical measurement equipment including calipers, micrometers, gage blocks
- Perform visual cosmetic inspections
- 3+ years of professional experience working with fiber optics
- 3+ years of professional experience as a mechanic/technician
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to read, understand, and follow electrical/mechanical drawings and schematics
- Experience with cable and harness building and repair
- Knowledge of network standards and configuration (TCP/IP, SNMP, serial communications)
- Operational knowledge of network analyzers and signal generators, oscilloscopes and multi-meters, soldering wires and connectors, various crimping tools, wire stripping techniques, Ohm’s Law, continuity testing, pinning out a military type connector, routing and tie wrapping cables, drilling and tapping holes, and building junction boxes
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision and as part of a team
- Meticulous attention to detail, standards, and documentation
- Ability to distinguish between different colors and possess manual dexterity to complete fine motor tasks
- Ability to travel as required
- General physical fitness is required for some work areas
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. unaided
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.