SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SpaceX services a diverse range of clients and their payloads. Missions supporting scientific research, classified national security space, and commercial opportunities are all in work. As we expand our classified mission manifest, we are looking for new RF engineers to join our team.
On the hardware development team, you will have the exciting opportunity to be responsible for flight hardware! You will demonstrate extreme ownership of this hardware through deep understanding of your hardware functionality, design, and requirements and see it through all aspects of its life cycle from inception through flight. You will also work with many other teams and think at a system level to ensure that your design is viable and will help drive us to mission success. Our development timelines are aggressive and you will be asked to rigorously explore solutions for previously unsolved problems.
We’re looking for people who want to dive in and get their hands dirty and those who are not afraid to make important decisions and work to provide a data driven rationale. Every day we push the limits of what is possible through innovation, determination, and teamwork and we’re only just beginning.
- Responsible for troubleshooting of avionics hardware spanning PCBA board testing and defect detection, full functional testing of an assembled unit, and resolving on-vehicle anomalies
- Create electromagnetic simulation models of hardware (antennas, filters, PCB layout) to design and evaluate performance
- Write and execute verification test plans, test procedures, and test reports against product requirements
- Modify electrical schematics and mechanical drawings for flight applications as they relate to reliability and manufacturability
- Design and troubleshoot RF (UHF, S-Band, X, Ka, or Ku bands) test setups and associated support equipment to support execution of testing strategies
- Participate in development of new RF designs and drive optimization for manufacturability and cost
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering or physics
- 2+ years of experience with electronic components, environments testing, or unit level testing (significant academic projects, internships, and traditional professional experience all qualify)
- 1+ years of experience with Matlab, LabVIEW, Python, SPICE, SQL, and/or National Instruments hardware
- 2+ years of experience with electromagnetic theory and/or RF communication systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together with the ability to assess risk and make design and development decisions without all available data
- Experience with RF components, wire harnesses, and electrical test equipment (spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc.)
- Knowledge of digital communication systems, spread spectrum, single and multi-carrier techniques and modulation types such as QPSK, APSK and QAM
- Understanding and experience in environmental testing such as vibration, shock, thermal, burn-in, and TVAC
- Experience working in project teams such as Formula SAE or Hybrid Electric Vehicle
- Experience with 3D CAD (Unigraphics, Solidworks or similar) and electrical schematic capture software
- Strong sense of accountability and integrity with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.