MAKING HUMANITY MULTIPLANETARY.
SOFTWARE AUTOMATION ENGINEER, INTERFACES & AUTOMATION
Are you passionate about human spaceflight? Do you enjoy designing software around complex technical systems for user consumption? We are looking for a collaborative engineer who is excited to take on the challenge of helping to advance the future of human spaceflight.
As a Software Automation Engineer in the Interfa0ces & Automation group, you will shape the tools and real-time displays that define the way our orbital missions are executed. You will work directly with SpaceX engineers, operators, and flight crews to better understand their needs in order to create applications that anticipate and solve the important problems they face. With a significant focus on simplicity and usability in our interfaces, your work will help revolutionize the way everyday spaceflight is conducted.
- Work directly with engineers, operators, and crew to craft aesthetically and functionally flawless operator experiences.
- Build and maintain the primary tools and real-time interfaces used to execute regular spacecraft operations.
- Conduct goal-based task analyses and user stories to develop software requirements.
- Identify automation opportunities to fly each mission more simply than the last.
- Take full ownership of application life cycles including documentation, test, maintenance, and continuous improvement.
- Conduct design reviews and communicate functionality to engineers, operators, and crew.
- Take part in console operations to achieve a first-hand look at problems and the effectiveness of solutions.
- Develop production-quality code against aggressive timelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline.
- 3+ years of professional experience in web development or software engineering.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of cognitive engineering and user experience design principles.
- Design experience and/or track record of developing with an eye for aesthetics.
- Comfort with front-end and back-end frameworks such as Polymer, Flask, and Docker.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Familiarity with launch vehicles or spacecraft systems.
- Previous spacecraft engineering experience.
- Previous experience in an operational role (e.g. Aviation, Scuba, Seamanship).
- Capacity to balance conflicting opinions and manage expectations between multiple teams.
- Able to be flexible and adapt in a changing and fast-paced environment.
- When necessary, must be willing to work long hours and weekends to support launch operations and critical project timelines.