Making Humanity Multiplanetary
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
As a space operations specialist, you will support a small team that works directly with our customers to apply SpaceX products and technologies to solve their most challenging problems.
You will contribute to the performance and execution of satellite programs while specifically focusing on the ground systems that drive, manage, and provide useful insight into those programs. You’ll work with customers and SpaceX engineers to help shape customer requirements, gather inputs from all parties, and help drive SpaceX’s system capabilities. You’ll ensure agreements are adequately captured in system specifications and interface control documentation. This work will cover a wide range of disciplines including satellite command and control, space-to-ground communication, operational planning, data processing, networking concepts and technologies, and the secure implementation and execution of each of these discipline areas. Our ideal candidate is a self-starter, a clear communicator, and is hungry to do work that matters.
- Assist with planning and scheduling, tasking, data management, and spacecraft operations for on-orbit satellites
- Work with internal flight software and application software teams to gather inputs, document, and support the implementation of interfaces to external systems for satellite command and control, mission planning, and network operations
- Support analysis of system performance alongside mission design parameters
- Represent customer requirements to internal technical teams, and help develop requirements into actionable objectives
- Generate and maintain requirements documentation and specifications
- Collaborate with subsystem representatives across team boundaries to consider all necessary trades and ensure end-to-end mission success
- Analyze system performance and gather inputs for assessments of open issues
- Assist with the creation and maintenance of project master schedules and regularly report modifications to customers
- Coordinate between different organizations and agencies as required
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1+ years of project management experience
- 2+ years of experience working hands-on with technical software technical projects
- Professional experience with ground systems for space vehicles: operating satellites, working with payloads, interfacing with planning and scheduling tools
- Understanding of software design and development practices, experience with debugging and performance optimization of software
- Success with projects across multiple technical and non-technical disciplines
- Experience supporting government programs and requirements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with direct experience negotiating technical deliverables or scope
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and external customers, balancing their varying needs
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere
- TS/SCI or Top Secret clearance
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed to support critical milestones or operations shifts
- Must be willing to travel to other SpaceX offices and customer locations as needed, <25%
- Note that an active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions. If so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify us.