MAKING HUMANITY MULTIPLANETARY.
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TRAJECTORY ANALYSIS ENGINEER
The Trajectory Analysis team is responsible for ensuring that the general public are kept safe during SpaceX launch activities. The Trajectory Analysis Engineer develops and tests the Autonomous Flight Termination System (AFTS) destruct criteria and works with SpaceX partners in the Space Force and FAA to ensure launches satisfy quantitative risk criteria. You will own the flight safety approval process for brand new mission profiles, such as Polar launches from Cape Canaveral. Additionally, you will own process streamlining, product reuse, and task automation for established mission profiles in support of increasing flight rates towards aviation-like spaceflight capability. You will support multiple launches every month, tracking standard deliverables and resolving potential issues at various stages of the launch approval process simultaneously.
- Analyze trajectory profiles designed by the SpaceX Guidance, Navigation, and Control team for risk to the launch site and general public
- Simulate a variety of failure modes that the launch vehicle may experience and the impact they have on achieving a safe orbit and meeting mission requirements
- Test autonomous flight termination system destruct criteria to ensure acceptability for reliable and safe flight
- Author flight plans and generate data required by Air Force and FAA regulations to obtain launch licenses for each mission flown
- Continually improve the processes of trajectory analysis and data generation through programmed automation to streamline the production of all flight plan products
- Assist engineering teams in solving a variety problems that may arise in order to ensure a safe, successful, and awesome launch
- Bachelors degree in an engineering discipline or physics
- 1+ years of experience with orbital mechanics, aerodynamics, dynamics, and/or physics
- 1+ years of experience working with MATLAB and Python
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Advanced engineering degree
- Background in statistical analysis and understanding of how it can be applied to flight trajectories
- Experience processing and analyzing large datasets, such as Monte Carlo simulations, quickly and efficiently
- Comfortable working in a variety of coordinate reference frames commonly used in aerospace
- Strong communication skills and comfort interfacing with contacts outside of SpaceX
- Ability to solve complex problems on time as an individual or as a member of a team
- Familiarity with launch vehicle architectures and fundamental systems (i.e. avionics, propulsion, structures, guidance, navigation and control)
- Must be available to work long hours and weekends as needed