POWER ELECTRONICS ENGINEER (STARSHIP AVIONICS)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
POWER ELECTRONICS ENGINEER (STARSHIP AVIONICS)
The Starship electrical hardware development team supports the mission to revolutionize orbital flight and space travel- opening access for humankind to establish new frontiers in space and ultimately become a multi-planetary species. Our team builds some of the most advanced electronics ever flown in space- at a cost and rate previously considered unthinkable in the space industry. Become a part of this fast moving and world class hardware development team, work with super smart and motivated engineers, and achieve truly audacious goals. If you’re ready for a challenge and would like to help make our civilization multi-planetary then you’ve come to the right place!
- Develop power electronics and other analog hardware for use on Starship vehicles
- Act as responsible engineer for flight hardware, from conception through build, qualification, and ultimately flight operations
- Drive system trades, requirements capture, component selection, analysis, schematic capture, prototyping, bring-up, debugging, documentation, manufacturing, and test
- Create development and qualification testing campaigns and exercise designs to their limits
- Support hardware through production, integration, and flight
- Collaborate and help guide cross-functional team members to ensure project success (such as mechanical, manufacturing, software, test, and supply chain)
- Work with experts from other teams and departments to drive changes that make the system more efficient, manufacturable, and reliable. Challenge assumptions and build strong professional relationships
- Provide technically sound project decisions in the context of the wider vehicle and systems – be the subject matter expert and act like a chief engineer
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- 3+ years of professional design experience with power electronics (research and extracurricular academic projects qualify)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience developing fundamentally new hardware, not just incrementally updating legacy hardware
- Experience with kW level, high-performance isolated conversion topologies
- Experience with power stage component selection and analysis
- Exposure to custom magnetics design, analysis, and modelling
- Experience with high voltage devices, lithium ion batteries, or power distribution optimization
- Proficient with circuit simulation tools and analysis methods
- Knowledge of filter design for stability, noise rejection, and surviving threat signals
- Experience designing switching power converters, power magnetics, analog control loops, solid state load switches, motor inverters, EMI/EMC compliance, or sensor signal conditioning circuits
- Experience with high performance digital processors, FPGAs, memory chips, or network switches
- Professional experience testing for electromagnetic compatibility
- Experience working with hazardous voltages
- Demonstrated ability working with schematic capture and board layout in Altium
- Experience with derating analysis and worst case circuit analysis
- Exposure to high availability or fault tolerant systems
- Experience with requirements management, system verification and validation, board design-for-manufacturing, and productization of electronics
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and autonomously driven environment
- Strong technical documentation skills
- Must be willing to travel < 25%
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Power Electronics Engineer/Level I: $100,000.00 – $120,000.00/per year
Power Electronics Engineer/Level II: $115,000.00 – $135,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.