MAKING HUMANITY MULTIPLANETARY.
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIONICS SYSTEMS & INTEGRATION ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
As a systems and integration engineer in Starship avionics, you will work on a cross functional team of engineers bridging vehicle analysis, design, build, and extending through vehicle pad and flight operations. Utilizing a prospective spanning the full product life cycle and across all disciplines, drive a globally optimum vehicle design to complete our mission of enabling human life on Mars.
Your creativity and relentless commitment to quality will be expected to analyze systems designs, define new processes, and develop vehicle validation techniques in order to ultimately build a state-of-the-art and fully reusable space launch vehicle system capable of safely and reliably carrying crew and payloads to Mars. You will also put your engineering knowledge to the test by performing real-time troubleshooting on the vehicle as it goes from the integration phase through launch operations.
Our fundamental goal is to allow humanity to explore the stars; with this goal comes extreme responsibility to ensure the safety of the crew and payload.
- Represent the avionics system in the design, integration, test, and launch of vehicles as subject matter expert in everything electrical across the flight vehicle
- Work collaboratively with other teams across the program to define the scope, requirements, and potential impact of projects as new designs move from concept, through prototype, and into production
- Analyze and track key performance metrics for avionics systems from inception to implementation and perform assessments of new designs to drive optimization for manufacturability, quality, and cost
- Act as the system lead for projects including creating, maintaining, and communication of development schedules
- Design electrical harnessing for flight and test applications
- Work with avionics production to triage, troubleshoot, root cause, and repair issues on an aggressive production schedule
- Verify avionics system test coverage on fight or flight-representative hardware at the system level and validate as-built vehicles is “go for launch”
- Support vehicle pad and flight operations as avionics operator responsible for evaluating vehicle health, resolving issues real time, and recommending path forward
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical, mechanical, aerospace engineering, or other engineering field
- 1+ years of experience with system level design, integration, or testing of electro-mechanical systems and/or components (significant academic projects, internships, and traditional professional experience all qualify)
- Experience using software tools such as Python for technical computing
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of professional experience in system-level integration of electronic components or system-level testing
- Experience with wire harnesses design and manufacturing
- Experience installing and troubleshooting sensors, actuators, and electrical components
- Competence with electrical test equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc.)
- Creative problem solver with strong fundamentals in first principles across multiple disciplines to assess risk and make design and development decisions without all available data
- Strong sense of accountability and integrity
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Extended hours, day or night shift, and weekend work required to support critical project and mission milestones