SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Responsible for providing engineering support for the design, operation, and troubleshooting of facility electrical components and systems, while overseeing electrical installations and maintenance activities.
Our fundamental goal is to allow humanity to explore the stars; with it comes extreme responsibility to ensure the safety of the crew and payload. Are you up for the challenge?
Work in a team environment with other engineering disciplines to provide detailed electrical design and specification for the installation of the following equipment and systems:
- Electrical power distribution systems
- Switch-gear and motor control centers
- Exterior and interior lighting
- Ground support system controls and ladder logic
- Uninterruptible power supply (UPS) units
- Standby and emergency generators
- Automatic transfer switches
- Power monitoring hardware and software
- Data/phone distribution and wiring
- Building and site grounding systems
- Fire alarm systems and lightning protection systems
Provide engineering support for the design, operation, and troubleshooting of all the facility electrical components and systems, including:
- Load flow analysis of electrical power distribution systems
- Electrical equipment evaluation
- Building and facility equipment grounding
- Power monitoring hardware and software
- Provide electrical engineering support to facility technicians to troubleshoot existing electrical equipment and controllers
- Ensure that all equipment interfaces properly with other mechanical and electrical systems, including compatibility with facility power budgets
- Ensure all electrical designs and installations conform to applicable codes and regulations
- Provide code review and analysis utilizing NFPA 70E, NFPA 70 NEC, NFPA 497, NFPA 101, Vol 5 & 6 AFSPCMAN 91-710, and IBC
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- 1+ years of professional experience in a similar role working on power distribution systems, switchgear, UPS, and generators
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to read and understand power and control schematics
- Ability to read and understand highly technical equipment operation and maintenance (O&M) manuals
- Experience with variable frequency drives (VFDs) and industrial pumps
- Experience with controls in MODBUS communication
- Previous experience working as an electrician
- Experience with medium voltage distribution
- Experience with control panel design and production
- Working knowledge of power coordination and arc flash
- Ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently
- High level of self-motivation, with the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and schedule workload
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg (travel may be required in the future as this role is part of the launch organization)
- Overall mental fitness with the ability to work in a high-concentration, high-stress environment requiring prolonged mental concentration (under possible extended work hours)
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.