The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of WhiteKnightTwo carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of over 500 talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
TSC and the greater Virgin Organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter, and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who you are
TSC is seeking a first rate aerospace structural design engineer with experience in composite design and production manufacturing. The primary task for the person in this role will be to develop engineering definition for components and subsystems within the pressurized cabin of SpaceShipTwo. The Specialist in this role will also be expected to review planned manufacturing procedures to ensure compliance with design specifications and intentions, support test definition for verification testing of components and subsystems, and manage components and subsystems through their full lifecycle.
- Assist Engineering Manager in further refinement of design practices, philosophy and execution
- Work closely with Engineering Manager to forecast completion dates and estimate work package durations
- Provides development, mentoring, and training opportunities for engineers through excellent coaching and leadership skills
- Review, update, and check engineering definition of structural components and assemblies based on records from the prototype build project
- Develop standardized design criteria, documentation and templates
- Assist in the setup of configuration management processes utilizing Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software
- Support the review of manufacturing plans and procedures to ensure compliance with design requirements
- Assist Engineering Manager with hiring and onboarding of new team members
- Support the creation of structural test plans which will be used to verify that manufacturing processes meet design intent and requirements (according to part 25 FAA requirements)
- Coordinate with Analysis and Testing departments to ensure component performance
- Support test definition to verify that components and manufacturing processes meet design intent and engineering requirements
- Participate in the review, approval and release process of engineering definition
- Use engineering judgment to evaluate manufacturing issues and disposition nonconformance reports (NCR)
What you bring
- Bachelor’s degree from an ABET (or equivalent) accredited institution, with a concentration in Aeronautical and Astronautical, Aerospace, or Mechanical Engineering
- 10+ years experience in structural design engineering for aerospace composite fabrication and assembly processes
- Proficiency with CATIA V5 a must
- Required Workbenches: Part Design, Assembly Design, Sketcher, Drafting, Generative Shape Design (GSD), Composites (CPD)
- Experience using GD&T and ASME Y14.5M-1994 drafting standards
- Understanding of part 25 FAA requirements
- Knowledge of manufacturing methods for various materials (composite layup, metal machining, 3D printing, bonded assembly, mechanical assembly)
- Experience in the development of human spaceflight hardware desired
- Experience with Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software and configuration management processes
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills
- Profficient organizational and time-management skills
- Strong team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain te required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.