Harnessing space to solve problems on Earth
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
As an Spacecraft Hardware Engineer, you will be designing, manufacturing and integrating custom components for our next-generation nanosatellite platform.
This includes the design of PCBs; the selection, evaluation, and integration of various off-the-shelf components and custom sensors, radios, and power systems; making last-minute fixes; working with third-party fabricators and assemblers; and interfacing with the software and mechanical teams. You may also participate in guiding software and mechanical design and may be involved at any stage of development including proof of concept to new product introduction.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Specification creation and requirement gathering of spacecraft electronics
- Architectural definition, systems and subsystem level design
Component selection and definition based on system requirements
- System performance analysis
- Schematic capture and PCB Layout using Altium Designer and negotiation with Mechanical Engineers
- Leasing with PCB and assembly house to ensure quality and speed are achieved
- Peer review of schematics and layouts
- Board bring up, verification and debugging
- Documentation of design, test procedures and manufacturing instructions to hand over design and test for production team.
- Design of the whole testing ecosystem for productionisation of given design. (test jigs, test boards, cable looms, scripts etc)
- Assisting other team members from multiple disciplines achieve their goals.
- Electronics theory, including component knowledge and analog and digital circuitry expertise
- Board design including schematic capture, PCB layout using any enterprise software (Altium preferred) with focus on Design for manufacturing (DFM) principles.
- Digital communication interfaces (I2C, SPI, CAN, UART, USB, LVDS, Ethernet,…)
- Knowledge of High speed digital layout design practices. (matched impedance, stackup and manufacturing restrictions)
- Experience with lab equipment including oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, multimeters, etc
- Experience with rigid-flex PCB design
- Strong Debugging experience and fault identification
- Manufacturing experience (SMD soldering, assembly, etc)
- FPGA development (Verilog, VHDL)
- RF theory/circuitry (Power amps, filters, layout etc)
- EMC testing
- Hardware/inventory management
- Power systems (Battery, Solar Panels, etc)
- Space experience – desirable not essential
Please note that our application process includes a challenge. Our motto is ‘show me the data,’ so if you make it to the challenge round, you’ll have time to give us your best work on a problem that lets you put your skills on display or showcase your existing portfolio
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.