SR. RF ENGINEER
MAKING HUMANITY MULTIPLANETARY.
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. RF ENGINEER
The Avionics RF team is responsible for communication systems and RF sensors on our spacecraft and launch vehicles. We design systems and architectures that enable new vehicle capabilities, and take the necessary components and products from concept to flight. Join our mission to take humans back to the lunar surface, ultimately enabling us to establish permanent communities on the Moon, Mars, and beyond.
- Simulate/model RF hardware for communication systems and sensors/instruments
- Define hardware architecture and specifications for the RF system blocks, interfaces, MMIC’s
- Design, build and test microwave circuits and assemblies
- End-to-end design validation and testing of RF product performance
- Lead and conduct troubleshooting or root cause hardware performance challenges
- Work with manufacturing and production teams on producing quality RF products
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in an engineering discipline with emphasis in electromagnetic theory and/or microwave circuits
- 5+ years of professional experience designing and testing RF hardware and systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or PhD in electrical engineering (electromagnetics, circuits, or signal processing)
- Experience with test equipment such as spectrum analyzer, signal generator, network analyzer, channel emulator, and power meters as well as common RF passive components
- Experience with design of linear and non-linear circuits such as power amplifiers, low noise amplifiers, mixers, filters, combiners, and PLLs
- Experience with basic RF concepts such as impedance matching, smith chart, power handling metrics (IIP2, IMD), RF filter design, and transmission line theory
- Schematic/layout design using software (Altium)
- Linear and non-linear RF module or lineup simulation using tools such as AWR or ADS
- Experience with Python or MATLAB programming for data analysis or test equipment interfacing
- Experience with Ka-Band design including chip and wire construction and waveguide feeds
- Excellent communication and documentation skills, and demonstrated ability to collaborate with other engineering disciplines
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Sr. RF Engineer/Senior: $160,000.00 – $220,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000