We are a satellite imaging company developing world-first technologies in data services, geoanalytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence. The insights we provide allow customers in multiple industries to track long-term trends, monitor change, and take guided, strategic actions to better serve their customers and fulfill their missions.
From architecting and developing cloud native infrastructure for computationally intensive image processing and massive storage volumes to defining use cases for remote sensing ground segments and API driven services to secure transactional systems, the development portfolio at UrtheCast is extensive and challenging. Our Software Engineers work as a highly collaborative team in an agile based iterative development environment and are driven to revolutionize Earth Observation through problem solving, growth and ownership.
UrtheCast is always looking for qualified Software Engineers of all levels to join our crew. Experienced with DevOps and cloud-based infrastructure? We want to hear from you for our Senior Software Engineer (DevOps) position! Check out the details below. (Map lovers and space geeks are always encouraged to apply.)
As a Senior Software Engineer (DevOps), you will have overall responsibility for designing, developing, deploying and operating cloud based infrastructural components in AWS powering UrtheCast’s Software Engineering team’s development, CICD and DevOps process as well as the development and operation of internal system/services and UrtheCast’s Ground Segment that supports our EO Sensors (present and future). In addition, you and the team will champion our DevOps culture (including any process and tooling) for all other teams in the department to adopt.
Key responsibilities include:
- Drive the technical vision and architecture of our cloud based infrastructural components to keep pace with technological evolution and business needs
- Participate in Product and Business Development discussions to advise on and influence the Product Roadmap related our infrastructural components
- Mentor and train fellow software engineers on DevOps best practices
- Define, design, implement, test, debug, deploy and evolve UrtheCast’s cloud based infrastructural systems, services and software capabilities
- Conduct and participate in technical and interface discussions, design reviews, code reviews and feature verifications with other team members.
- Monitor, triage and fix bugs in services with active stakeholders.
- Participate in sprint planning, sprint closure, sprint demos, and sprint retrospectives
- Define, communicate, educate and empower other software engineers on the best practices and guidelines on interfacing with the operational cloud based infrastructural systems
- Recommend new technologies/patterns to ensure solution scalability, maintainability, and quality
- Other duties as required
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree in SW Engineering, CSc., EE or equivalent
- 7 years+ of professional experience in a DevOps role with a proven track record of delivering robust infrastructural and CICD solutions for mission critical projects
- Experience automating the operations of distributed system/services deployed within AWS or equivalent cloud provider
- Experience practicing DevOps and CICD
- Experience working in Agile (Scrum, XP) iterative frameworks
- AWS Certifications
- Master’s or higher degree in Computer Science
- Experience in a software development role
- Experience in Earth Observation domain (e.g., image processing)
- Experience in designing and implementing applications with geospatial capabilities
- Experience in DevSecOps
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Excellent knowledge of cloud native principles
- Excellent knowledge of AWS, Linux, Git, Infrastructure as Code, Docker, Chef,
- Excellent skills in at least one programming language (e.g Python, C++)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter and self-learner attitude with the ability to manage and execute with minimal supervision
- Ability to take initiative, commit, and thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Excellent physics/mathematics knowledge and skills
- Excellent algorithmic and analytical problem-solving skills
- Excellent Python development skills
- Good C++ or equivalent development skills
- Good knowledge of software systems architecture and patterns
- Good knowledge of machine learning
Fast paced, open concept, production critical and constantly evolving. Software Engineers work in an agile based iterative development environment that practices and embraces DevOps principles. They contribute in a fully automated CICD software development pipeline that delivers cloud native infrastructure and software systems to a cloud-based production environment. May require occasional overtime and travel.
What can we offer you?
- Competitive compensation, full benefits and flexible time off
- Flexible working hours with work from home opportunities
- Great work environment, team and office location right over the water in the new Vancouver Convention Centre
- Company subsidized lunches, lunch & learns and Friday afternoon social hours