With nearly two decades of sub-orbital launch experience and technology development, VECTOR needs your help in taking the next steps to push space boundaries.
Innovation in space occurs when people have the freedom to imagine and to do. We are looking for other thought leaders in their fields of expertise who also believe in our vision and can work beside us to make this dream a reality. The Sr. Structural Analyst will be part of the VECTOR Structures and Mechanisms group, working to develop innovative designs for our composite and metallic structures, and mechanisms. You will have the opportunity to be hands on and lead efforts to develop a highly optimized design, through the development and application of efficient and innovative structural analysis as well as structural testing methods. This role is for a dynamic, self-starting individual with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position located at our Huntington Beach, CA facility.
A typical day might include the following:
- Take a practical and efficient approach to perform stress analysis on launch vehicle composite structures and metallic components using hand calculations and Finite Element Analysis (Nastran, NX Simcenter Linear and non-linear FEM creation and validation)
- Author/check stress reports and structural test plans
- Drive development of company-wide stress methods, tools and material development
- Verify preliminary analyses of design engineers and junior analysts
- Suggest design changes to meet functional, strength, and weight requirements
- Provide guidance and technical support for junior analysts and design engineers
- VECTOR strongly believes in the power of the individual and seeks people who share our passion for innovating, building and flying
This job might be for you if you have these:
- Bachelors degree in electrical, mechanical, or aerospace engineering, or closely related field is required.
- 5+ years of directly applicable experience on launch vehicle or similar primary structures, performing hand calculation structural analysis (per industry standard stress methods: Bruhn, Niu, etc.) and FEA (Nastran Linear/Non-Linear analysis) on primary composite and metallic structures
- Strong practical intuition for aerospace structures and mechanical design
- Proven ability to lead and mentor junior structural analysts and design engineers
- Strong communication skills and highly collaborative
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
It would be impressive if you also have these:
- Experience using high-level CAD system (Siemens NX, preferred)
- Experience and strong working knowledge of composite materials, composites manufacturing, qualification and testing
- Composite part design, layup mold design and/or bonding fixture design
- Experience with metrology, interpretation and /or operation
- Coding experience writing algorithms in common languages (Python, VBA, C++, etc.), and Macros in Excel (VBA)
- Startup Experience and ability to work as a member of a cross-functional team
- BIG vision to reshape the multi-billion launch market
- Ability to work as a member of a cross-functional team
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit and desire to be part of an innovative team that designs, builds and flies rockets? Put your skills to work and see if you have what it takes to become a part of the new frontier of rocket science.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
VECTOR is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Each individual has the right to work in a professional environment that promotes equal employment opportunity and prohibits discriminatory practices, including harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.