Optical AIV Engineer
SSTL pioneers audacious new satellite technologies, products and services and shares its know-how to enable advancement in Space.
The Optical Team seeks an enthusiastic and committed Engineer to support in the delivery of a variety of Optical Payloads.
This opportunity would allow an engineer to be involved in all aspects of the Assembly, Integration and Verification making use of high performance equipment such as Interferometers, CMMs, as well as bespoke test and alignment equipment.
Working with dedicated Optical AIV engineers to deliver current and future Imaging products supported by the engineers involved in the design.
Engineers at SSTL have involvement on a mission right from concept through to launch, commissioning and operational life; a true cradle to grave experience, and will give you the chance to see your work in Space in a rapid timescale! This key role will often sit within the core team of a satellite mission interacting with other technical leads across multiple disciplines to generate the technical solutions for innovative projects.
- Assembly, Integration and Verification of optical instruments within a cleanroom environment
- Optical and mechanical alignment of instruments
- Building of Optical, Mechanical and Electrical ground support equipment
- Operation of equipment such as Interferometers, CMMs, Thermal Vacuum Chamber, MTF rig, Integrating Spheres, etc
- Maintaining technical build and test documentation as well as test reports
- Reporting and debugging of hardware issues
- Preparation of build materials such as adhesives
- Ensuring cleanliness is maintained within the cleanroom environment
- Experience within low volume, high technology manufacturing
- Previous experience operating within a cleanroom environment
- Handling of optics and electronics
Qualifications Knowledge & Skills
- Relevant degree in engineering, optics or equivalent
- Familiarity with optics and optical testing methodologies
- Self-motivated, creative, high attention to detail and accountable
- Ability to work autonomously or within project team(s) and a real company player
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure in an organised and responsive manner
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Creative problem solving
- Good MS Office Skills
- Able to demonstrate company mindsets and behaviours; Be accountable, Drive & delivery, Communicate effectively, Self-manage effectively, Work as one team
SSTL prides itself on being a super flexible company. The role is based in our Head Office in Guildford but we fully support hybrid working and a range of flexible working options.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes; 32 days Holiday plus Bank Holidays, Pension Scheme with Life Assurance, Private Medical & International Travel Insurance, Annual Bonus Scheme, Share Incentive Plan, Enhanced Maternity, Paternity & Shared Parental Pay for new parents, High Street Discount Scheme and many more!
SSTL supports applications requiring a UK Skilled Worker Visa and sponsorship is available for this role. Relocation assistance also available.