We are a european space startup, founded by a team of international space experts. Our product is a digital platform that transforms the tools and engineering processes used to manage space missions.
This is a first-of-its-kind product, at the crossroad of cloud & software technologies, new space engineering concepts, digital transformation, and innovative commercial and delivery models. We are still operating in stealth mode so details are not public, but we will tell you more, face-to-face, during the interview.
We are looking for top engineering talents to help us digitalize the space industry. Join us!
The company is based in Strasbourg, France, a beautiful and vibrant city that offers an amazing quality of life. Strasbourg is a highly international city at the crossroads of France, Germany, and Switzerland. It offers a rich culture, easy access to nature, wonderful gastronomy, and a fast-growing startup scene.
To drive the development of this digital platform, we are looking for a number of space engineering experts with both strong domain knowledge and the right entrepreneurial mindset, to become Product Owners.
Disciplines / Areas of expertise: space operations, astrodynamics, mission analysis, system engineering, concurrent design, system AIT, ground segment architecture, payload data processing, ground network operations, automation, and any other space engineering disciplines. You can come from any space vertical (e.g. satellites, rockets, deep space, rovers) or from outside the space industry.
Part of an agile team, you will take ownership of one or more of the platform’s products. You will shape their scope and manage their implementation roadmap. You will play a key role in our R&D activities, in direct collaboration with the company founders and the engineering team. You will report directly to the CEO.
The position is full-time and based in our R&D centre at the International Space University campus, near Strasbourg, with part-time remote working possible. This position will require occasional business travels.
The role is split between 3 dimensions:
1. Product strategy: to shape the scope and the roadmap of the product(s) (~30%)
- Gather user needs and ideas for your product(s) from clients, from industry experts, and from the literature.
- Scout the market for competing products and propose ideas to overcome them.
- Attend conferences and client meetings to enrich your vision and grow your expertise.
- Attend our regular Product Strategy sessions with the CEO, CTO, VP Engineering, and other Product Owners, to pitch your ideas and shape the roadmap of your product(s).
- Contribute to improve and grow the overall vision – we love to develop disruptive ideas that push the boundaries.
2. Product development: to manage the backlog and ensure we build the right thing (~60%)
- Translate the approved ideas into user stories to populate the product backlog.
- Maintain the product backlog over time and prioritize it based on the roadmap.
- Ensure user stories are ready for the development team to start work – this also includes detailed acceptance criteria !
- Organise and lead the sprint planning and sprint review meetings.
- Review for acceptance the developed features to ensure it fits your vision – you are the domain expert that the developers will look up to.
- Support the UX designer to create relevant mockups and wireframes.
- Support the QA lead to create relevant test scenarios.
- Support the VP Engineering to identify and resolve issues in the development process.
3. Subject Matter Expert support: to contribute to the company success (~10%)
- Support the recruitment process by identifying top talents on the market and by attending interviews.
- Support product marketing by attending fairs and exhibitions; you will be one of the faces of the company.
- Consult, as Subject Matter Expert, the company’s executives to help them in taking the right strategic decisions.
- Guide junior engineers, challenge senior experts, so that together we make the best product possible and solve real pains of space organisations !
To well understand the role we have in mind, watch this 15min video from the CEO of Scrum.org: https://www.scrum.org/resources/product-owner-vs-product-manager
- Based in, or willing to relocate in the Strasbourg area (including nearby German or Swiss cities)
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering field, and at least 3 years of experience in the space industry
- Strong expertise in one or more of the disciplines listed above, either as a practitioner or as a developer of software systems for this discipline
- A drive to challenge the status quo, and a track record coming up with new tools and processes
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with both technical and business stakeholders
- Proven ability to drive teams through negotiation and persuasion, not by power
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Ability to do occasional travels to meet clients and to attend conferences
Extra awesome if
- If you have been exposed to both established and NewSpace organisations
- If you have designed, developed or commercialised space software products
- If you have previously worked as Product Owner or worked in an Agile environment
- If you have worked in a product-based company before
- If you like to play strategy games 😉
What we offer you
- Work on some of the most challenging, relevant issues in space technology
- Create software that will be used operationally to design, build and fly satellites, rockets, and lunar missions. You will have a direct impact on the future of space.
- Join a fast-growth tech startup as a key employee – the best way to fast-track your career.
- A stock options plan that will make you become a shareholder and reap the financial benefit of our success.
- A family-friendly environment, high flexibility in working hours, the possibility to work remotely a large part of the time.