Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
Stratolaunch is seeking a Senior Avionics Engineer, Instrumentation to complete the development of the Roc Carrier Aircraft avionics and instrumentation systems. This position will focus on both the development of new airborne support equipment design from concept to execution & upgrade of legacy Roc Data & Instrumentation systems.
- Develop Data Acquisition & Instrumentation systems on the Roc Aircraft
- Train and act as Instrumentation lead in Mission Control Center
- Maintain and upgrade the current DAS and instrumentation systems on the Roc Aircraft
- Act as central contact for any DAS expansion/addition requests
- Perform or oversee wire diagram generation/modification
- Manage overall DAS & Instrumentation configuration
- Support pre- and post-flight test activities
- Support custom software used in the integrated system
- Contribute to the integration of complex aerospace systems
- Perform detail design, procure parts, advocate design through review process, document design
- Execute project ranging from procurement, detail technician direction, aircraft configuration control
- Test project as required, lead testing, evaluate data and hold closeout reviews
- Prepare project for flight and brief status at Flight Readiness Reviews and other similar events
- Experience with Data Acquisition Systems
- Experience with Instrumentation Systems
- Experience with Labview
- Experience in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio)
- Experience with configuration management systems, Jira, Bitbucket, confluence
- Excellent written & verbal communication
- S. Person Status
- Aircraft and/or launch vehicle development experience
- Fluency in C++, Python
- Experience in Network Engineering
- Experience in strain gauge & other sensor installation or selection
- Hands-on aircraft build, piloting, and flight test experience
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 5-plus years of relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- This position is located in Mojave, CA
- Travel estimated to be <5%
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave up to 16 weeks
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement for continued education
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law: