Building the home for your active life
About the role
This role is on the Strava Foundation Team, the team that builds and maintains the platform upon which the Strava backend runs. Strava users upload roughly 40 million activities per week, for a lifetime total of over 5 billion activities handled by the platform and infrastructure that the Foundation Team maintains.
We are a team with a diverse skill set who work together on the infrastructure, libraries, and tools that make up the Strava service platform. The service platform is used by all engineers at Strava for developing user features. Engineers on the Foundation Team work on a very wide variety of projects and technologies; recent projects have ranged from rearchitecting and upgrading our logging infrastructure to redoing our internal request routing and load balancer architecture for performance and ease of use.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Create and operate the infrastructure that makes Strava possible, from data stores and the container platform to observability software and deployment tooling.
- Develop software that empowers your engineering colleagues, providing them the tools and platforms to deliver scalable, reliable, and observable products.
- Find mentorship and growth opportunities with more experienced engineers on your team and beyond.
You will be successful here by:
- Demonstrating empathy for other engineers and thinking about how the platform enhances and enables their work.
- Having an eye for detail and thoroughness, as you will work on the most important production systems at Strava.
- Displaying ownership of your work by managing deployment and participating in an on-call rotation.
We’re excited about you because you:
- Have a passion for the reliability, scalability, and usability of what you make.
- Have a history of fully owning your work, from designing and building to maintaining and being on-call.
- Love working on production systems.
- Are security-minded when developing and working on systems.
Some of our Technical Expectations
We’re not looking for 100% coverage; if you have experience in any of these technologies, we’d love to hear from you:
- Experience with AWS or another cloud provider such as Azure or GCP.
- Experience with at least one programming language such as Ruby, Scala, Go, or Python.
- Experience deploying software with container technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, or Mesos.
- Experience with relational data stores such as MySQL or PostgreSQL and ideally one or more key-value, columnar, or time series data store such as Cassandra, Redis, or Elasticsearch.
- Experience with streaming systems such as Kafka.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.