Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space.
At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as Structural Dynamics Engineer. If you join us in this position, you will predict and mitigate structural dynamic environments and assist in the qualification of hardware to those environments for the LauncherOne small satellite launch program. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Perform static and dynamic structural analysis using NASTRAN
- Perform acoustic and vibration analysis using SEA / Wave6
- Generate unit / subsystem dynamic test criteria; random vibration and shock test specifications
- Select proper sensor and data acquisition systems for capturing dynamic data
- Present analytical results to technical community and recommend design enhancements/improvements
- Partner with hardware teams to qualify components and sub-assemblies to dynamic environments
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- Bachelors of Science degree in Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering or related discipline plus a minimum of 2 years of industry experience
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) or Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA)
- Familiarity with random vibration, shock, and acoustic testing. Experience acting as test director is preferred.
- Computer programming skills such as Matlab, Python, or Visual Basic
- Clear communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 25lbs (unassisted)
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Masters of Science degree in Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering or related discipline plus a minimum of 2 years of industry experience
- Ability to select dynamic instrumentation and data acquisition systems
- Familiarity with vibration & shock isolation or mitigation techniques
- Familiarity with common industry standards such as SMC-S-016, NASA-STD-7001, NASA-STD-7002 and GSCF-STD-7000
- Working knowledge of structural design criteria including strength, stability, and fatigue
- Experience with NX, Teamcenter, FEMAP/NASTRAN, ANSYS, MATLAB, and Wave6 software
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.