Archangel Lightworks is a start-up specialised in space laser communications based in Harwell Space Campus, Oxfordshire. Founded in mid-2017, we have secured long-term funding and successfully demonstrated several novel prototypes related to laser transmission and efficient perpendicular solar concentration. Our mission is to make 100x more data download possible to meet the demand from the growing satellites market, especially smallsats, delivering more data from the earth orbit to the ground at higher speed. This project will be developed directly with the European Space Agency..
We are looking for a multi-skilled Structural Mechanical Systems Engineer with experience in composites and structural analysis to join our high-performance team. The successful candidate will be responsible for the trade-off analysis of payload mechanical and electromechanical design for communication payloads and working closely with systems engineering.
Specific job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Development of mechanical/structural sub-systems, precision opto-mechanical pointing devices, gimbal systems.
- Trade off analysis of possible design solutions against system needs and KPI.
- Generate 3D CAD concepts of mass optimised structures, mechanisms to inform detailed design, interface and requirement definition
- FEA analysis (mechanical-structural, thermal) to inform design and support verification of requirements to be presented in analysis reports.
- Sizing and selection of hardware for structures and mechanisms e.g. actuators, encoders, IMU’s.
- Definition of documentation for suppliers where appropriate (requirement specifications, interface control documentation).
- Coordination of detailed design with other team members and suppliers.
- Clear and concise technical presentation of work to the team and mentoring/teaching of junior staff.
- Planning, completing and documenting validation and qualification testing of new designs.
- Design and manufacturing of test equipment, working closely with AIT personnel.
- Participating in document preparation and design reviews throughout each phase of payload development.
Interested applicants may also consider starting first as a fixed-term consultant while rolling into a permanent role, which we would willingly support depending on your ability to deliver, innovate and lead. We are a small company who like to do big impactful things and we are seeking someone who shares that mindset.
Required skills/experience (* = must-haves!)
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) in Aerospace Engineering or related discipline.
- 3+ years of relevant experience.
- A clear and logical approach to problem solving and presentation of information.
- Experienced in developing *composite fibre structures*.
- Experience in design and FEA *structural analysis* of equipment for aerospace application.
- Experience using professional CAD software (Solidworks preferred).
- Experience using relevant FEA packages (ANSYS, Solidworks professional, ESATAN ect).
Desirable additional skills/experience:
- Demonstrated experience using simulation tools to simulate complex thermal and mechanical problems.
- Experience developing precision pointing mechanisms, gimbal systems, beam control and line of sight stabilisation for extreme environments.
- Experience developing active and passive thermal control solutions for aerospace application.
- Experience with MATLAB, SIMULINK, Python. Other programming languages are desirable.
- Experience using Zemax is desirable.
- Experience working on CubeSat, UAV, HAPS projects is considered a plus.
£40000 – £55000 baseline. We pay higher for those with relevant skills towards top of the industry, demonstrating positive impact and taking more responsibility.
We also believe in regular recognition and building a high-performance team. We work around delivery-focused, agile sprints such that you will be making visible contributions early and regularly, with a sustainable work-life balance. There are options for flexible working hours, (some) working from home, travel and training bursaries, custom benefits, as needed. We also work in the buzzing Harwell Space Campus with regular events on site (networking, workshops), and delicious lunch time international cuisines.
Dates and duration:
Suitable candidate to join as soon as possible, with the start date negotiable.
Our offices are with the European Space Agency at Harwell, near Oxford. Some remote work will be possible. There might be some opportunities for overseas travel – please indicate any restrictions due to visas etc.
This role will close once suitable applicants are appointed.
Tier 2 visa sponsorship
We are only licensed to sponsor candidates who are already in the UK. All candidates requiring tier 2 visa are welcome to apply and will be considered alongside all other applications, but please note that the limited numbers of sponsorship certificates would need to be reserved for exceptional talents. In other words, the non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. Those currently exempted from this test are in-country Tier 4 visa holders, for example. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration