The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of WhiteKnightTwo carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of over 350 talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
TSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
TSC is seeking an experienced procurement professional to plan, control, and supervise the supply chain activities associated with the material and service procurement needs. This person will be responsible for sourcing, cost saving, cost avoidance, and value enhancement initiatives associated with these procurements to positively impact the procurement and operational functions for the manufacturer of our spacecrafts.
- Strategically implement, manage, and communicate sourcing projects and category management with aligned goals (savings, customer service, etc.)
- Develop negotiation strategy and lead negotiations to support those sourcing initiatives.
- Identify gaps and opportunities for training, resources, and tools for the programs.
- Identify barriers to successful performance and provide potential solutions for their removal
- Drive standardization of materials and processes.
- Customer service
- Ability to lead meetings with customers/vendors as required and represent the company at conferences and networking platforms.
- Support inventory management initiatives as required.
- Support various initiatives for ordering and payment methods (electronic invoicing, procurement card implementation, etc.)
- Leverage best practices to drive improved quality, delivery excellence, and continually reduce costs and improve the product and services for our customers.
- Execute strategic goals and objectives in support of the overall company goals and objectives.
- Actively identify optimal levels of customer service and continually monitors areas for improvement.
- Understand stakeholder requirements through a variety of means including meetings, survey analysis, and teleconferences.
- Provides support to ensure compliance with international and U.S. laws related to import/export activity
What you bring
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a category manager, commodity manager, or senior buyer is required; At least 3 years’ experience in aerospace/aviation/technical management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Materials Logistics Management, or similar
- Excellent knowledge of Oracle EBS and MRO maintenance.
- CPM and/or CPIM certification is a huge plus.
- Strong negotiation skills with the ability to coach and influence the behavior and skills of others.
- Demonstrates a proven record of exceeding customer expectations.
- Strong knowledge of office software skills including MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Experience from a start‐up environment is highly preferred.
- Understanding of import/export processes including ITAR.
Behaviors and skills
- Practical approach/ leads by example. Happy to be hands on and work closely with cross‐functional teams.
- Knowledge of various procurement methods, strategic sourcing, and supply chain practices.
- Subject Matter Expert within the material categories, market places, indexes, and trends arena.
- Prior demonstrated supervisory, management, and leadership skills.
- Excellent knowledge of Oracle EBS, other ERP software, and/or maintenance software packages.
- Excellent communication skills (team, management, and suppliers).
- Organized, detail‐oriented, and structured approach.
- Incredible energy and passion with a resourceful attitude.
- Self‐motivated. Enjoys work independently.
- Ability to react to change and thrive in a fast paced start‐up environment.
- Flexible and adaptable.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.