Senior Radio Frequency Engineer
Cutting edge radio frequency products
SWISSto12 is one of the world’s fastest-growing aerospace companies, evolving from its pioneering use of 3D printing technologies for high-performance applications and radio frequency (RF) products to building entire telecommunication satellites, the HummingSat, defining a new category in space.
SWISSto12 is partnered with Frontgrade to market its Additively Manufactured (AM) RF technology to US customers. Under this partnership, FRONTGRADE has built an end-to-end manufacturing and test capability based on SWISSto12’s unique and patented technology, at the FRONTGRADE Exeter (NH) facility. In addition to the manufacturing capability, SWISSto12 and FRONTGRADE routinely collaborate on product development, as well as supporting companies in the US, primarily in the Aerospace industry, with SWISSto12’s proprietary technology. SWISSto12’s extensive RFAM heritage consists primarily of complex integrated RF cavity-based assemblies (e.g., feed assemblies), antenna arrays and complete antenna systems for satellite communications, electronic surveillance, and radar applications, primarily in the space, airborne and surface domains.
SWISSto12 is recruiting a Senior RF / Antenna engineer to grow its market share in the US for RF products and subsystems, working in collaboration with its local partner Frontgrade (formerly known as CAES or Cobham AES). This role requires the ability to review and respond to export-controlled data and therefore requires that the applicant be a US citizen or green card holder.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following functions:
- Develop RF cavity-based antennas and waveguide-based components and assemblies for the SATCOM, EW, and Radar markets used in a wide variety of Aerospace applications.
- Apply advanced RF technologies, scientific principles, concepts, analyses, and simulations to formulate state-of-the-art solutions for US customers
- Prepare the technical input, including conceptual designs/descriptions and analyses/simulations and engineering cost estimates for responses to customer Requests for Information (RFIs) and Requests for Proposal (RFP)
- Interact with our mechanical engineering colleagues for design iterations to ensure manufacturability of our developed RF designs for 3D printing.
- Perform and/or supervise RF tests on antennas and waveguide-based components and assemblies (using a Vector Network Analyzer and Anechoic Chamber).
- Prepare customer documentation, including design reports, test plans & procedures and test reports
- Prepare and present RF design, engineering and test results to customer technical counterparts
- Work with industrial and academic partners on complex projects to manage their contributions.
- Participate in technical discussions/negotiations with suppliers, partners and customers.
- Support projects managed by colleagues.
- Prepare technical concepts/descriptions and engineering cost estimates for proposed IR&D projects.
- For the avoidance of doubt, this position does not cover the commercial development of the spacecraft product line of SWISSto12.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- At least 5 years’ experience in RF antenna and waveguide component and assembly design, development, and test
- Demonstrated problem-solving mind-set with a willingness to build proposals against challenging customer requirements.
- Excellent ability to write complex technical, scientific and management documents.
- Ability to use RF analysis and design tools such as Ansys HFSS or CST or TICRA (POS, CHAMP, or GRASP) or equivalent.
- Able to work on a self-initiated basis while being part of a team.
- Very well organised.
- Communicating effectively, excellent relational skills and ability to work in a team with different professional and cultural backgrounds
- Good customer focus with experience in engaging with customers and supplier.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Electrical Engineering with a focus on microwave antennas and microwave electronics.
- US Citizen – with the ability to obtain a US DOD Secret clearance
- Language: Fluent in English (with emphasis on excellent writing skills)
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- A least 10 years’ experience in RF antenna and waveguide component and assembly design, development, and test
- PhD in Electrical Engineering with a focus on microwave antennas and microwave electronics.
- Active US DOD Secret clearance and be eligible for a Top Secret clearance
This position can be remote or co-located with the SWISSto12 team, with frequent on-site engagement at the Frontgrade facility in Exeter, NH. The role will require some reasonable traveling (< 20%) in the US to meet with customers and partners as well as regular travel to the Lausanne, Switzerland headquarters for training and periodic support of non-US customer efforts.